Maximum and Minimum Values of a Trigonometric Function

In summary, when finding the maximum and minimum values of a function using its derivative, the derivative must be set equal to zero and the second derivative test must be used to determine whether each critical point represents a local minimum, a local maximum, or neither. The values of 'x' must be in radians and will result in an infinite number of local extrema.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Find the maximum and minimum value of:
(sin a)^4 - (sin a)^2

I am new to the world of calculus. I have just learned to evaluate the derivatives of functions. (*and nothing else- I am a high school student) For this function the derivative is
-sin 2a . cos 2a
Please tell me if I am right.

While teaching my teacher told me that we can obtain the maximum and minimum values of a function with the help of its derivative. Is it true?
If yes, please spare some time to tell me how is it possible. I know that the maximum and minimum values can be calculated by coverting this into a perfect square. But I wish to learn it through calculus, if possible.

Thanks!
regards,
Ritwik

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ritwik06! :smile:
ritwik06 said:
-sin 2a . cos 2a

Yes, that's fine! :smile:
While teaching my teacher told me that we can obtain the maximum and minimum values of a function with the help of its derivative. Is it true?
If yes, please spare some time to tell me how is it possible.

The derivative is the rate at which the function increases.

At a maximum or minimum, the function has stopped increasing, so the derivative is zero. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ritwik06! :smile:

Yes, that's fine! :smile:

The derivative is the rate at which the function increases.

At a maximum or minimum, the function has stopped increasing, so the derivative is zero. :smile:

ok. thanks a lot tim.

but the problem now is that if I put:

- sin 2a . cos 2a=0
the values of 'a' that are possible are:
0, 180 ,360, ...
45, 135, 225...
at which value will I get the maximum and at which value the minimum?

similarly if I want to fin th maximum and minimum of sin x+cos x

dy/dx=cos x - sinx

cos x - sin x=0
cos x=sin x
x=45, 225... (till what values of x should I limit myself??)

Do I need to check from [0,2*pi]?
Because after that. the values of the T-ratios repeat. Am I right?

The first thing you need to do is rewrite those x values in terms of radians rather than degrees!

And you had better learn to start thinking in terms of radians. For the functions sin(x) and cos(x), the "x" has to be interpreted in radians, not degrees.

Well, you will get an infinite number of local extrema, because the sin and cosine are periodic functions. That being said, half will be local maxima, and half will be local minima.

You have to use the second derivative test to determine whether each critical point represents a local minimum (second derivative > 0 at the x), a local maximum (second derivative < 0 at the x) or neither (second derivative = 0 at the x).

But yes, you will have to give your answer like...

f(x) = sin x

Maxima: 1/2 PI, 5/2 PI, 9/2 PI, ...
Minima: 3/2 PI, 7/2 PI, 11/2 PI, ...

(or)

Maxima: (4n-3)/2 PI, for all natural numbers n
Minima: (4n-1)/2 PI, for all natural numbers n

Hopefully that clarified what was being asked.

Welcome to PF!

Hi csprof2000! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Don't too much work … best just to give a hint and see if the OP can work out the rest themselves! :wink:

csprof2000 said:
Well, you will get an infinite number of local extrema, because the sin and cosine are periodic functions. That being said, half will be local maxima, and half will be local minima.

You have to use the second derivative test to determine whether each critical point represents a local minimum (second derivative > 0 at the x), a local maximum (second derivative < 0 at the x) or neither (second derivative = 0 at the x).

But yes, you will have to give your answer like...

f(x) = sin x

Maxima: 1/2 PI, 5/2 PI, 9/2 PI, ...
Minima: 3/2 PI, 7/2 PI, 11/2 PI, ...

(or)

Maxima: (4n-3)/2 PI, for all natural numbers n
Minima: (4n-1)/2 PI, for all natural numbers n

Hopefully that clarified what was being asked.
Thanks A Lot!

1. What is the difference between maximum and minimum value?

Maximum value refers to the highest possible value that a variable or function can take, while minimum value refers to the lowest possible value that a variable or function can take.

2. How can I determine the maximum and minimum value of a dataset?

To determine the maximum and minimum value of a dataset, you can use various statistical methods such as finding the range, calculating the mean and standard deviation, or creating a box plot.

3. Can a dataset have multiple maximum or minimum values?

Yes, a dataset can have multiple maximum or minimum values if there are multiple data points that share the same highest or lowest value.

4. What is the significance of maximum and minimum value in data analysis?

Maximum and minimum values are important in data analysis as they provide valuable information about the spread and distribution of the data. They can also help identify outliers or anomalies in the dataset.

5. How can I use the concept of maximum and minimum value in real-life applications?

The concept of maximum and minimum value is widely used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and science. For example, in finance, maximum and minimum values can help determine the highest and lowest stock prices, while in engineering, they can help optimize designs by finding the maximum and minimum values of different parameters.