Photoelectric effect and current

In summary, according to the photoelectric effect experiment, increasing the intensity or frequency of the incident light can result in a current, while decreasing the voltage, frequency, or making the color of the incident light bluer will not result in a current if there was no current flowing previously. Additionally, the presence of a stopping voltage may contribute to the absence of current flow.
solars
In a photoelectric effect experiment, which of the following changes by result in a current, if there was no current flowing previously?

1. decreasing voltage in apparatus
2. decreasing frequency of the incident light
3. making the incident light brighter
4. increasing wavelength of the incident light
5. making the color of the incident light bluer

So I've done some research and I came across the fact that "Larger radiation intensity or frequency would produce more current."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect

So I've narrowed down the answer choices to 3 and 5. but not sure which one is right. can someone help me? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you say about larger intensity/frequency is absolutely right. Take a look at the electromagnetic spectrum. If you're making the light bluer are you increasing the frequency or decreasing it?

There's actually a lot of difference between something changing from zero photoelectric current flow to some current flow and some current flow to larger current. Just think about why there may be zero current flow in the first place.

cryptoguy said:
What you say about larger intensity/frequency is absolutely right. Take a look at the electromagnetic spectrum. If you're making the light bluer are you increasing the frequency or decreasing it?

I looked at the electromagnetic spectrum. By bluer does it mean a darker blue, if so the wavelenght decreases so frequency increases. But the other choice says making the light brighter does that mean increasing intensity or just making it go for let's say blue to yellow?

Defennder said:
There's actually a lot of difference between something changing from zero photoelectric current flow to some current flow and some current flow to larger current. Just think about why there may be zero current flow in the first place.

I don't know the reason why, but I have learned of something called the stopping voltage?

It may be due to more than one factor, and I suspect that your original question may either be poorly worded or there is more than 1 answer.

If there was NO current flowing at a certain frequency of light, it doesn't matter how intense the light beam is, no current will flow (because no electrons are excited).

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

What is the relationship between frequency and current in the photoelectric effect?

According to the photoelectric effect, there is a direct relationship between the frequency of the incident light and the amount of current produced. As the frequency of the light increases, the number of electrons emitted also increases, resulting in a higher current. This relationship is described by the equation: I = k*f, where I is the current, k is a constant, and f is the frequency of the light.

What is the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material. In the photoelectric effect, the energy of the incident light must be equal to or greater than the work function in order to emit electrons from the material.

How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric current?

The intensity of light does not affect the frequency of the light, but it does affect the number of photons hitting the material's surface. As the intensity increases, the number of photons also increases, resulting in a higher current. However, increasing the intensity does not change the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has significant applications in technology, such as in photovoltaic cells used for solar energy. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the dual nature of light as both a wave and a particle.