Using electric force to find the force of gravity

In summary, a plastic sphere with a positive charge of 4.8 x 10^-19 C is held stationary in a gravitational field of strength 9.8 m/s^2 by an electric field of strength 1.2 x 10^5 N/C. The force of gravity on the sphere can be found by balancing the upward electric force with the downward gravitational force, resulting in a magnitude of 5.8 x 10^-14 N.
lostcompass

Homework Statement

A plastic sphere with a positive charge of 4.8 x 10^-19 C is held stationary in a gravitational field of strength 9.8 m/s^2 by an electric field of strength 1.2 x 10^5 N/C. What is the force of gravity on the sphere?

Homework Equations

F_e=qE=kQq/r^2
F_g=mg=GMm/r^2
g=GM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the only way to find the force of gravity is to find the mass of the sphere first. Since r^2=kQ/E, g=GM/(kQ/E)=EGM/kQ. So M=gkQ/EG

M=(9.8 m/s^2)(9.0 x 10^9 N x m^2/C^2)(4.8 x 10^-19 C)/(1.2 x 10^5 N/C)(6.67 x 10^-11 N x m^2/kg^2)=5.3 x 10^-3 m

If this mass is the mass of the sphere and not some other random object, then the number can be substituted into F_g=mg

F_g=(5.3 x 10^-3 m)(9.8 m/s^2)=5.2 x 10^-2 N

If M isn't the mass of the sphere, then I'm completely wrong, but that's the only solution I've been able to come up with. Can anyone tell me if I'm right?

Physics news on Phys.org
if i understand the question correctly... the sphere is floating so like one force acts upwards and one acts downwards. If it is floating, what does that say about the magnitudes of the electric and gravitational forces?

I'm not sure if what you did is right, but if I understand the problem correctly, you just need to do one calculation...

I guess I was needlessly complicating the problem. The strength of the gravitational field must have been a red herring.

If the sphere is indeed floating, then the upward electric force must balance the downward gravitational force, so that their magnitudes are equal. F_g=F_e=QE
So F_g=(4.8 x 10^-19 C)(1.2 x 10^5 N/C)=5.8 x 10^-14 N

That probably is the right answer. Thanks for your help.

yea that's what I was thinking, glad to help

1. How does using electric force help in finding the force of gravity?

The electric force is a fundamental force of nature that interacts with matter and can be easily measured and manipulated. By using electric force, we can create a controlled environment to study the effects of gravity on objects and determine the force of gravity acting on them.

2. Can electric force accurately measure the force of gravity?

Yes, electric force can accurately measure the force of gravity. By using sophisticated equipment and precise calculations, scientists can use the principles of electric force to accurately determine the force of gravity acting on an object.

3. What is the relationship between electric force and the force of gravity?

The relationship between electric force and the force of gravity is that both are fundamental forces of nature that act on matter. While electric force is caused by the attraction or repulsion of charged particles, the force of gravity is caused by the mass of objects attracting each other.

4. Are there any limitations to using electric force to find the force of gravity?

There are some limitations to using electric force to find the force of gravity. For example, this method may not be suitable for measuring the force of gravity on very large or very small objects, or in extreme environments such as outer space. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements may be affected by external factors such as air resistance or electrical interference.

5. What are some real-life applications of using electric force to find the force of gravity?

One real-life application of using electric force to find the force of gravity is in the field of geophysics, where scientists use this method to study the Earth's gravitational field and map out the distribution of mass. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as gravitational wave detectors, which rely on precise measurements of gravitational force to detect ripples in the fabric of space-time.