Coefficient of drag question

In summary, power is the amount of energy needed to fight aerodynamic drag. Lance Armstrong is able to generate a large amount of power on a flat time trial, almost all of which is used to fight aerodynamic drag.
shimizua

Homework Statement

It is said that Lance Armstrong can maintain a average power output of 500 watts for a time trial. The additional power (above that needed to fight gravity) is primarily used to fight aerodynamic drag. On a flat time trial Lance is able to maintain an average speed of about 54 km/hr. Almost all of the power he generates on a flat time trial is used to fight aerodynamic drag. The force of aerodynamic drag is given by
Fdrag=1/2CDPairAv^2 (if any of that is confusing i posted the link to the pic
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys2010/phys2010_fa08/homework/LAlpedHuez/figures/fdrag.gif

The parameter CD is the coefficient of drag. It depends on the shape of the object moving through the air. A value of CD=0.90 is a reasonable estimate for a person on a bike. The parameter A is the cross-sectional area facing the airstream. It depends on how the rider is positioned on the bike. The parameter rair = 1.29 kg/m3 is the mass density of air, and v is the speed through the air. First show that the power needed to fight aerodynamic drag is proportional to v3. Estimate a value for Lance's cross-sectional area A during a flat time trial. Other losses (rolling friction, drive train friction, etc. are relatively small effects.)
so i am just unsure of why they are wanting to know anything about v^3.
some stuff that was given to us before this problem is this.
In 2004, for the first time ever the Tour de France bicycle race organizers set a time trial on the famous climb from Bourg-D'Oisans to the top of L'Alpe d'Huez. The stage was won by Lance Armstrong with a winning time of 39 minutes and 42 seconds. The time trial consisted of 1.5 km of relatively flat road followed by 14.0 km of climbing. The Tour organizers classify the difficulty of climbs using Categories 1 (hardest) through 5 (easiest). The L'Alpe d'Huez climb is rated 'H.C' (Haute Categorie or beyond category) due to its length and steepness. The bottom of the mountain, the 'Pied de cote', is at 740 m above sea level and the top is 1850 m above sea level. Lance covered the first 1.5 km in just over two minutes (2:05).
that should help some i think

Homework Equations

well i am pretty sure that power can by found by using Fd/t and since d/t = v. so just cube everything?

The Attempt at a Solution

well i am not really sure where to start. i know that for finding A we would just plug everything into the given equation. What i also don't know is if you go to the link and look then it looks like part of the equation says P(air) and we are given r(air), so i don't know if that is a typo or if we need to do something else also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

shimizua said:

Homework Statement

It is said that Lance Armstrong can maintain a average power output of 500 watts for a time trial. The additional power (above that needed to fight gravity) is primarily used to fight aerodynamic drag. On a flat time trial Lance is able to maintain an average speed of about 54 km/hr. Almost all of the power he generates on a flat time trial is used to fight aerodynamic drag. The force of aerodynamic drag is given by
Fdrag=1/2CDPairAv^2 (if any of that is confusing i posted the link to the pic
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys2010/phys2010_fa08/homework/LAlpedHuez/figures/fdrag.gif

The parameter CD is the coefficient of drag. It depends on the shape of the object moving through the air. A value of CD=0.90 is a reasonable estimate for a person on a bike. The parameter A is the cross-sectional area facing the airstream. It depends on how the rider is positioned on the bike. The parameter rair = 1.29 kg/m3 is the mass density of air, and v is the speed through the air. First show that the power needed to fight aerodynamic drag is proportional to v3. Estimate a value for Lance's cross-sectional area A during a flat time trial. Other losses (rolling friction, drive train friction, etc. are relatively small effects.)

Fdrag = 1/2*CD*Pair*A*v2

But what is power? Force * distance / time? And Distance / time is ...?

As for the rest just calculate it based on his estimated 500 watts right?

Last edited by a moderator:

yeah thanks for the help man.

1. What is the coefficient of drag?

The coefficient of drag (also known as drag coefficient) is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance to motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. It is a measure of how streamlined or aerodynamic an object is.

2. How is the coefficient of drag calculated?

The coefficient of drag is calculated by dividing the drag force (the force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid) by the dynamic pressure of the fluid and the projected area of the object. This calculation can be done experimentally or through computer simulations.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of drag?

The shape and size of the object, the speed of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the roughness of the surface are all factors that can affect the coefficient of drag. For example, a more streamlined shape and smoother surface will result in a lower drag coefficient.

4. Why is the coefficient of drag important?

The coefficient of drag is an important concept in aerodynamics and fluid dynamics as it helps engineers and scientists understand and predict the behavior of objects moving through fluids. It is also used in the design of vehicles, aircrafts, and other structures to minimize drag and increase efficiency.

5. Can the coefficient of drag be negative?

No, the coefficient of drag cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the amount of resistance to motion. However, it can be less than 1, which indicates a relatively streamlined object, or greater than 1, which indicates a more aerodynamically inefficient object.