Calculate minimum speed of an object in circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the minimum speed (vmin) of an object at point z without breaking the string or making it go slack. The solution involves drawing a force diagram and identifying the forces at point z that need to be in balance. The only two forces are T (tension) and W (weight), but they are going in the same direction. The conversation also mentions the need to calculate T if it were horizontal, using mostly variables and showing how to get vmin on one side.
johnarma

Homework Statement

Picture of my object
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=circlekz1.png
How do i calculate the least amount of speed ( aka vmin) an object has at point z without breaking the string or making it go slack. I also need to show how I got it.

There should be little to no numbers used. This is mostly variables and in putting vmin on one side and showing how i got there.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
johnarma said:

Homework Statement

Picture of my object
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=circlekz1.png
How do i calculate the least amount of speed ( aka vmin) an object has at point z without breaking the string or making it go slack. I also need to show how I got it.

There should be little to no numbers used. This is mostly variables and in putting vmin on one side and showing how i got there.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to PF.

Draw a force diagram and identify what forces at z need to be in balance to satisfy the minimum speed.

the only 2 forces are t and w but those are going in the same direction, there is no force in an opposing direction!

johnarma said:
the only 2 forces are t and w but those are going in the same direction, there is no force in an opposing direction!

And what again is the "T"?

How do you calculate T if it was horizontal?

What is the formula for calculating the minimum speed of an object in circular motion?

The formula for calculating the minimum speed of an object in circular motion is v = √(rg), where v is the minimum speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between the minimum speed and radius of a circular path?

The minimum speed of an object in circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the minimum speed also increases, and vice versa.

How does the mass of an object affect its minimum speed in circular motion?

The mass of an object does not affect its minimum speed in circular motion. The minimum speed is determined solely by the radius of the circular path and the acceleration due to gravity.

Can the minimum speed of an object in circular motion be zero?

No, the minimum speed of an object in circular motion cannot be zero. This is because in order for an object to move in a circular path, it must have a certain velocity to counteract the force of gravity and maintain its circular motion.

What happens to the minimum speed if the radius of the circular path is halved?

If the radius of the circular path is halved, the minimum speed of the object will be doubled. This is because the formula for calculating minimum speed (v = √(rg)) is directly proportional to the radius, so halving the radius will result in a doubling of the minimum speed.