Zaduszki in Poland: Our Local Tradition

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, Borek shared about a local tradition in Poland where on November 1st and 2nd, people visit the graves of their relatives to light candles and place flowers. He also mentioned that this is a particularly expensive part of the cemetery and that the most popular material used is cheap terrazzo. He and his friend Marzena visited three cemeteries and captured the beauty of the candles in the evening. The tradition is also observed in Catholic cemeteries in the US, but with some variations in different countries.
Borek
Mentor
That's our local tradition. On November 1st and 2nd we visit graves of our relatives to light candles and put flowers.

You start with shopping - flowers...
IMG_7922.jpg

and candles (navigating through the crowd; we both did the same mistake of taking pictures WITHOUT people, that was a substantial effort - now we can't show you how the cemeteries really look alike on these days).*
P1070046.jpg

This is particularly expensive part of the cemetery - marbles and other expensive stones used.*
P1070102.jpg

But much cheaper terrazzo is the most popular material.*
P1070115.jpg

Other cemetery - we have visited three.*
P1070040.jpg

But it gets really nice at the evening, when it is already dark, and you can see all these candles...
IMG_7943.jpg

IMG_7948.jpg

IMG_7956.jpg

As usual, Marzena's pictures with *.

Attachments

• IMG_7922.jpg
    IMG_7922.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 446
  • P1070046.jpg
    P1070046.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 424
  • P1070102.jpg
    P1070102.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 445
  • P1070115.jpg
    P1070115.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 431
  • P1070040.jpg
    P1070040.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's a lovely custom, Borek, and, as usual, your and Marzena's photography documents the whole of it well. You've captured the day remarkably well. Thanks for telling us about it and showing it to us.

They also do that in several Catholic cemeteries near me. It may also be the Polish, I'm not sure. There is a really large Polish/ Catholic population here.
Wonderful photos of the market area, what do they call this event?

I think there are similar customs throughout Eastern Europe. A close frienda took me to some a small church/chapel, and as we entered the door, we had an option to buy candles and place them for those who are special. The person I was with lit a candle for 'her' three children, which were not hers biologically, but she raised them because the mother couldn't or didn't want to. Similarly, at the monestaries I visited, people bought candles to light for ancestors.

Astronuc said:
I think there are similar customs throughout Eastern Europe. A close frienda took me to some a small church/chapel, and as we entered the door, we had an option to buy candles and place them for those who are special.

That's a Catholic tradition, but is quite different from what Borek is showing of candles at cemetaries. Though, yes, I've seen candles at gravesites in Catholic cemetaries...usually at the sites of Slavic and Italian families. I never realized there were special dates associated with the candles, though. I guess my grandparents didn't maintain that tradition. We didn't usually go to the cemetary after Labor Day (in September...that's when we'd replace the flags on one uncle's grave who was killed in war) until Christmas.

Thats neat. and Marzena is your wife?

hypatia said:
Wonderful photos of the market area, what do they call this event?

Zaduszki, pronounced something like zahdooshki. But see next posts.

Wow, quite a lot of comments - which are slightly wrong...

Astronuc said:
I think there are similar customs throughout Eastern Europe. A close frienda took me to some a small church/chapel, and as we entered the door, we had an option to buy candles and place them for those who are special.

Moonbear said:
That's a Catholic tradition

I think it is an Orthodox tradition. What I know for sure is that you will not see it in Poland in Catholic churches, but we have Orthodox minority in the eastern Poland and I think that's what they do.

Moonbear said:
but is quite different from what Borek is showing of candles at cemetaries. Though, yes, I've seen candles at gravesites in Catholic cemetaries...usually at the sites of Slavic and Italian families. I never realized there were special dates associated with the candles, though.

Astronuc said:
All Saints' Day Celebration in Poland; Polish Cemeteries - Nov 1.

Candles on the graves are lit on any occasion - be it birthday or name day, or death anniversary. It s nothing wrong with lighting a candle on every other day, quite often people that are just accidentally close to the cemetary will buy a candle and put it on the grave. But on other days you just can, while on Zaduszki you should.

Page that Astro linked to is not entirely correct. All Saints' Day is on the Novemeber 1st, Zaduszki are on November 2nd. Technically these are two different days and two different holidays, although they got mixed and blended and most people go visit their graves on both days. To some extent that's because November 1st is a public vacation in Poland, while November 2nd is not, making it technically difficult to visit the graves. But most people are not aware of the distinction (including me, I had to check details, I just knew that the situation is not as simple as it looks at the first sight).

Borek said:
I think it is an Orthodox tradition. What I know for sure is that you will not see it in Poland in Catholic churches, but we have Orthodox minority in the eastern Poland and I think that's what they do.

In the US, it's done in Catholic churches. I don't know about Orthodox churches, because I've never been in one.

Interesting, didn't know about it. On the second thought - not very surprising. "Catholic" is a very broad term. I suppose when I write "Catholic" I mean "Polish Catholic" (whatever that means).

Impressive Borek,

All Saints Day is also very important in Southern Germany but almost unknown in the north as well as in the Netherlands, marking the traditional geographic extend of Roman Catholisism in Europe

The candlelit graves are so beautiful! What a lovely tradition.

Borek said:
Interesting, didn't know about it. On the second thought - not very surprising. "Catholic" is a very broad term. I suppose when I write "Catholic" I mean "Polish Catholic" (whatever that means).

Well, my grandparent's parish was led by a Polish priest, and they had candles at their church too.

Though, I guess it doesn't surprise me that the traditions vary from country to country, even for something like the Catholic church which is so large across many countries. The Slovaks I work with were initially confused by some of the differences when they started going to church here too...traditions they thought were part of the Catholic tradition turned out to be local traditions that aren't practiced here, and then of course some things I thought were Catholic traditions are local traditions practiced here and not elsewhere.

The traditions you show in your images are wonderful in their embrace of remembrance. It makes me a bit sad for my father's grave... he wanted to be buried in the Catholic cemetery of my mother's tiny, mostly deserted, two-cross-road hometown, which, this time of year, is very cold and windy, and I'm sure quite lonely... But now, in retrospect and miles away, I can just superimpose his soul on the spirit of your photos, and it all seems okay. Thank you for sharing the photos.

1. What is Zaduszki and when is it celebrated in Poland?

Zaduszki, also known as All Souls' Day, is a traditional holiday in Poland that falls on November 2nd. It is a day to remember and honor the deceased.

2. How do people in Poland celebrate Zaduszki?

On Zaduszki, people in Poland typically visit cemeteries to clean and decorate the graves of their loved ones. They also attend special masses and light candles in remembrance.

3. Are there any traditional foods or customs associated with Zaduszki?

Yes, there are some traditional foods associated with Zaduszki in Poland, such as pączki (Polish donuts) and all kinds of pastries. It is also customary to leave an empty plate and chair at the dinner table for the deceased.

4. Is Zaduszki considered a religious holiday in Poland?

Yes, Zaduszki is a religious holiday in Poland, as it is centered around the Catholic belief in praying for the souls of the departed.

5. How is Zaduszki different from other holidays in Poland?

Zaduszki is unique from other holidays in Poland because it is a day that is specifically devoted to remembering and honoring the dead. It is not a day of celebration like Christmas or Easter, but rather a day of reflection and reverence.