What do you want to be discovered or invented before you die

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: You could power a small city with it for a short time, but it would quickly exhaust the supply.2. Bigger computer efficiency - such that we could solve touhg problems numericallyThis is something that I'm still hoping for. It seems like we're making some good progress on this front, but there's still a lot of work to be done.3. Flying carpet :tongue:I think this might be a bit of a stretch, but who knows?
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What do you want to be discovered, invented before you kick the bucket?

Physics news on Phys.org

Bundles of self-replicating organic molecules capable of homeostasis, metabolism, and reaction to stimuli outside of earth.

electrogravitics

A way to greatly extend my lifespan :smile: I like being alive.

Transporters, I hate winter driving.

Anti-bucket kicking drugs.

the fing-longer, so I don't have to get up to press the buttons on my "what if" machine

Last edited:

moe darklight said:
the finger-longer, so I don't have to get up to press the buttons on my "what if" machine

I think you mean the fing-longer. The finger-longer does something very different.

wolram said:

Immortality.

Bundles of self-replicating organic molecules capable of homeostasis, metabolism, and reaction to stimuli ... synthesized in a lab.

Gokul43201 said:
Bundles of self-replicating organic molecules capable of homeostasis, metabolism, and reaction to stimuli ... synthesized in a lab.

Hmm, interesting alternative. Life outside of Earth or synthetic life? I hadn't thought of the latter. Now I'm torn.

I want access to the parallel universe where everything goes as planned, and where you don't feel bad as often.

wolram said:

What we need is an enhanced biochemical understanding of the brain so as to eliminate wars , this is the future of biochemistry.

binzing said:
I want access to the parallel universe where everything goes as planned, and where you don't feel bad as often.

<snakeoilsalesman>
Well then have I got news for you! Through the magic of modern pharmaceutical compounds, you too can access these magical worlds where everything is peachy!
</snakeoilsalesman>

Meh, we'll see, may be on some of those "modern pharmaceuticals" soon. lol

Kurdt said:
Anti-bucket kicking drugs.

We have them all ready uric acid works great.

1. Immortality - How's the research looking here?

2. Knowledge of the human brain - just how much do the scientists really know? Can we make safe modifications to it so we never have to sleep, or at least only needing a lot less?

3. Star Wars HOLODECK.

Raizy said:
1. Immortality - How's the research looking here?

I think it is looking good for mice, at least Mickey mouse will live for ever.

wolram said:
I think it is looking good for mice, at least Mickey mouse will live for ever.

Mind sharing the source on that?

Raizy said:

i wouldn't waste my time. the current state of the art seems to be caloric restriction, which at least works in nematodes or somesuch. but who wants to live even twice as long when you're cold, hungry, miserable, and hormonally challenged. more life and less life support, i say.

I've always counted upon medical science to remain one step ahead of my demise. Unfortunately, that seems to have fallen through. Well, let's amend that a tad. The medical science exists, but practicality rules out its effectiveness to some extent. There are drugs that can ease my condition (COPD), but I'm not going to request them until it's absolutely necessary because I don't want to become reliant upon them. Likewise, a lung transplant could cure me, but I wouldn't accept one unless there was a viable organ available with no other recipient waiting for one. I got myself into this mess, so the lungs should go to someone who is ill through no fault of their own. Four of my cousins died of cystic fibrosis, including one who had a double lung transplant, and it's people like that who deserve first call.
Oops... sorry for the rant. This just seemed like the time to lay that out.

Sorry to hear that, Dan, thay's though, nobody deserves that. Hope for a solution soon

Yeah... quitting smoking would be a good start. That's not going so well. :rolleyes:

1. Bottomless source of energy - ok, at least sufficient till next centrury

2. Bigger computer efficiency - such that we could solve touhg problems numerically

3. Flying carpet :tongue:

sesinka said:
3. Flying carpet :tongue:

I had one of those in pre-Wife days. Apparently, the lifting capacity of 273,000 carpet beetles exceeds the weight of a 2' x 3' throw rug.

Raizy said:

Here you go.

http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news/New-breed-of-mice-to-live-longer-3552-1/

lisab said:
A way to greatly extend my lifespan :smile: I like being alive.
+1

My greatest wish is that we discover what it is that needs to be "discovered" in terms of social structures and technology which makes possible for every human being to lead a decent life with the necessities fulfilled. Freed from the requirement of hard work, economic growth, stress and all the other absurdities that burdens most of people today, I'd just enjoy the company of others, reading and thinking in peace and quiet, without distractions, for an eternity if that's possible.

sesinka said:
1. Bottomless source of energy - ok, at least sufficient till next centrury

Exists already, my daughter :approve:

A good explanation of dark energy and dark matter would be nice.

Immortality.

Star Trek type replicators. Tea...Earl Grey...HOT!

Evo said:
Star Trek type replicators. Tea...Earl Grey...HOT!

ohhh I could beam myself over with some cookies and we could have tea!

Do not forget that a replicator can only replicate, on second thoughts i will go for it.

What do you want to be discovered or invented before you die?

I am a scientist, so my answer may be a bit biased towards scientific discoveries and inventions.

1. What new medical treatments do you hope to see developed?

I hope to see advancements in the treatment of diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer's, and HIV/AIDS. I also hope for more effective and accessible treatments for mental health disorders.

2. What breakthroughs in renewable energy do you want to see?

I hope for the development of more efficient and affordable renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power. I also hope for advancements in energy storage technology to make renewable energy more reliable.

3. What do you think will be the next big technological innovation?

It is difficult to predict the next big technological innovation, but I believe it will likely involve artificial intelligence, quantum computing, or biotechnology. These fields have shown promising advancements in recent years and have the potential to revolutionize various industries.

4. What do you hope to see in space exploration?

I hope to see humans land on Mars and potentially establish a colony there. I also hope for advancements in space travel technology and the discovery of habitable exoplanets.

5. What new discoveries do you want to see in the field of physics?

I hope for a better understanding of dark matter and dark energy, as well as the discovery of a unifying theory that explains all fundamental forces in the universe. I also hope for advancements in quantum mechanics and the potential discovery of new particles.