Well, I think that's right, but I'm not sure.

• Thread starter brendan
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that f(x, y) = e^x(cos(y) + i sin(y)) is complex differentiable, it is necessary to show that its component functions u(x, y) = e^x cos(y) and v(x, y) = e^x sin(y) satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations ∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y. This can be done directly without converting to polar coordinates.
brendan

Homework Statement

Show that u(x,y) and v(x,y) satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann Equations.

x = r cos(Θ) y= r sin(Θ)

Homework Equations

Cauch-Riemann sum
∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y

The Attempt at a Solution

My questions are:
1. Do I convert the x and y values to rectangular co-ordinates first ?

2. is u(x,y) equivalent to u(r cos(Θ)+r sin(Θ)) u(x^2+y^2) or u=R^2 ?

regards
Brendan

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get the question at all. What are u and v? Why are you using polar coordinates?

I have to take the partial derivatives of the functions u(x,y) and v(x,y).
I have been told that x = r cos(Θ) y= r sin(Θ)
So I suppose I have to find the partial derivatives of: u(x,y) and v(x,y).

And they should equal each other if they are Cauchy-Riemann Equations.

∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y

My problem is I don't know how to represent both the functions u(x,y) and v(x,y) using

x = r cos(Θ) y= r sin(Θ)

To start and find the partial derivatives

brendan said:

Homework Statement

Show that u(x,y) and v(x,y) satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann Equations.
You can't do that if you don't know what u and v are! There is nothing in this that tells us what functions u and v are!

x = r cos(Θ) y= r sin(Θ)
This is just x and y in polar coordinates. Nothing is said about u and v.

Homework Equations

Cauch-Riemann sum
∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y

The Attempt at a Solution

My questions are:
1. Do I convert the x and y values to rectangular co-ordinates first ?
x and y are rectangular coordinates!

2. is u(x,y) equivalent to u(r cos(Θ)+r sin(Θ)) u(x^2+y^2) or u=R^2 ?[/quote]
u(x,y)= u(rcos(Θ), rsin(Θ)) of course. But even if you had "u(x^2+y^2)" that would not say that u was equal to x^2+ y^2.

regards
Brendan
Surely somewhere in that problem, or perhaps in an earlier problem, u and v are defined!

Sorry Guys,
My mistake The functions for Cauchy-Riemann Equations are:

u(x,y)= excos(y)
v(x,y) = exsin(y)

Your were right they were in a previous question.

Good. Now you can simply calculate
∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y
right? I don't see why you would want to go to polar coordinates for this?
u directly depends on x, and v directly depends on y, so you can just take the partial derivatives... :confused:

OK, so I suppose the point is that once you show that u(x, y) and v(x, y) satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, you have proven that
[tex]f(x, y) = e^x \left( \cos(y) + \mathrm i \sin(y) \right) = e^{x + i y}[/tex]
is complex differentiable...

What are the Cauchy-Riemann Equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the relationship between the complex derivative of a function and its real and imaginary components.

What is the significance of the Cauchy-Riemann Equations in mathematics?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations play a crucial role in the field of complex analysis, where they are used to determine the analyticity and differentiability of a complex function. They also provide a foundation for many other important theorems and concepts in complex analysis.

What is the relationship between the Cauchy-Riemann Equations and holomorphic functions?

A function is said to be holomorphic if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations. This means that the function is differentiable at every point in its domain, and its derivative is continuous. Holomorphic functions are important in complex analysis as they have many useful properties, such as being analytic and having a power series representation.

What are some real-world applications of the Cauchy-Riemann Equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations have applications in various fields, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and image processing. They are also used in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations.

What is the relationship between the Cauchy-Riemann Equations and conformal mappings?

A conformal mapping is a function that preserves angles between intersecting curves. The Cauchy-Riemann equations are used to determine which complex functions are conformal mappings. This relationship is important in the study of complex functions and their geometric properties.