Trouble understanding derivation of covariant derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation for the covariant derivative and the use of the product rule. The focus is on finding the transformation properties of the Christoffel symbol and there is confusion about how the second line follows from the first. The issue is resolved by considering the whole expression for the transformed V with the partial derivative.
bibalasvegas
Hi, I'm having problems following a derivation for the covariant derivative. I've shown the line where I'm having trouble:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/49/covariantderivative.jpg

The general argument being used is that if the covariant derivative must follow the product rule it can be expressed as the partial derivative plus some linear transformation - (the left and right parts of the right side of the first line respectively). Also we are trying to find the transformation properties of the christoffel symbol by using the fact that the covariant derivative should transform as a (1,1) tensor hence the primed indices.

My problem is that I don't see how the second line follows from the first. I know they are trying to express the previous line in terms of its transformation but I thought the first term on the right hand side of the top equation would correspond only to the first term on the right hand side of the bottom equation. I don't see where the middle term of the bottom equation comes from! No doubt this is due to my lack of understanding of vector derivatives. Hope all this makes sense and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just to say I've resolved this issue - it is solved. I wasn't acting on the whole expression for the transformed V with the partial derivative.

1. What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical operation that is used to calculate the rate of change of a tensor field along a given direction.

2. Why is it important to understand the derivation of covariant derivatives?

Understanding the derivation of covariant derivatives is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and concepts of differential geometry, which is essential for many fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. What are the main steps in deriving a covariant derivative?

The main steps in deriving a covariant derivative involve defining a connection, which describes how tangent spaces are connected to each other, and then using this connection to define the covariant derivative operation.

4. What are some common challenges in understanding the derivation of covariant derivatives?

Some common challenges in understanding the derivation of covariant derivatives include the complex mathematical notation and abstract concepts involved, as well as the need for a strong background in differential geometry and tensor calculus.

5. How can I improve my understanding of the derivation of covariant derivatives?

To improve your understanding of the derivation of covariant derivatives, it is recommended to review the fundamentals of differential geometry and tensor calculus, practice solving problems and working through examples, and seek help from experts or online resources if needed.