Designing/Purchasing Hydro Turbine Blades

• Thread starter HydroGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbine
In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a hydrokinetic turbine device for generating electricity in fast flowing rivers. The initial testing involves finding a suitable turbine blade, with options including boat propellers and wind turbine blades. However, it is noted that these may not work effectively due to their design and the differences between wind and water currents. The conversation also includes a side note asking for formulas to relate turbine blade diameter, pitch, efficiency, and power. The suggested solution involves using Newton's law and Betz's law, but it is recommended to consult a fluid mechanics textbook for more accurate calculations. It is also suggested to determine the specific speed and efficiency of the turbine before choosing a suitable design.
HydroGuy
I work at a small company and we're currently developing a hydrokinetic turbine device that will operate in fast flowing rivers to generate electricity. Eventually, we are going to design our own custom turbine blades, but for initial testing purposes we are simply trying to find something that will do the job.

For our testing, let's assume 1/4 scale or smaller, testing in a controlled environment. It will initially be a very primitive setup. I'm talking a small Ametek DC motor/generator hooked up to the turbine blades and doing some extensive initial work just to get a foundation. I can easily find generators, but finding turbine blades is proving to be tough work.

I'm an intern and this is my first OTJ engineering experience, so I'm not very efficient in finding what I want. I have contacted a few marine suppliers and have found some larger boat propellers that MAY work, but would be far from ideal...

Here are the boat props I'm looking into: http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Vo...andard&session_id=315413786&cart_id=710966203

Our testing will be in water speeds between 2 and 6 m/s, and I have my doubts that this propeller will provide the power in these conditions to turn any generator effectively.

Meanwhile, seeing as how this product is similar to a wind generator (except underwater) I've been looking into wind turbine blades as well for the initial testing, such as these...

http://www.windynation.com/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2

These would probably work better than the boat prop at turning the generator, but I'm afraid they would probably break or warp easily, and I'm not sure how much RPM they will generate.

Side note: Does anyone have any formulas for relating turbine blade diameter, pitch, efficiency, and power?

I'm continuing to search for turbine blades that would work well in water... any ideas or options on what to do, who to contact, etc would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Chances are your going to have to make your own. A boat propeller is designed to be a propeller, not a turbine. A wind turbine is designed to work in wind, not fast moving water current. Wind turbine blades have enough trouble with aeroelasticity in air alone and would most definitely fail in water. So in short, no, neither will work well if at all for your application.

Go to google and check out some of the designs for underwater turbines. You will see that they all have very specific common design traits. I think your best bet at finding a working turbine is to use a modified aircraft propeller. (think ultralight)

http://apolloalliance.org/digest/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/tidalpower.jpg
Side note: Does anyone have any formulas for relating turbine blade diameter, pitch, efficiency, and power?

For power with respect to diameter and velocity, yes. Newtons second law and Betz's law. For pitch and efficiency, no that is a lot more complex then just using some simple formulas. You can ballpark a solution to maybe 50% error using conservation of momentum and blade element theory.

Newtons Law: F = ma

Power = 0.125 x p x pi x d2 x V3 x 0.59

Where d is the diameter of the turbine, and V is the velocity of the water, and p is the density of the water.

The 0.59 is because of Betz's law which states the most power an open turbine can convert from fluid flow is 59% of the kinetic energy in that fluid flow.

I highly suggest you pick up a good fluid mechanics text and read up on turbo machinery. I recommend "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank White.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing I would do is find a good graph of the efficiency of a turbine versus its specific speed. There is a good example is many turbomachinery books. I have "Principles of Turbomachinery " by Shepherd that has a good example on page 39. This will let you know whether you should probably go with a Pelton wheel, Francis turbine, axial turbine (propellor), etc.

My guess is that at your speeds you will probably go with a pelton wheel or a Francis turbine to get maximum efficiency. I doubt an axial flow propellor will bring you good efficiencies at that speed. Good luck.

Betz law is applicable to wind turbine and not for hydro,is it?

1. What materials are commonly used for hydro turbine blades?

The most commonly used materials for hydro turbine blades are stainless steel, aluminum, and composite materials such as carbon fiber. These materials are chosen for their strength, corrosion resistance, and lightweight properties.

2. What factors should be considered when designing/purchasing hydro turbine blades?

Some important factors to consider when designing or purchasing hydro turbine blades include the water flow rate, rotational speed of the turbine, desired power output, and the specific site conditions. It is also important to consider the material properties and manufacturing processes for the blades.

3. How are hydro turbine blades tested for performance and durability?

Hydro turbine blades undergo rigorous testing to ensure they can withstand the extreme forces and conditions they will encounter in operation. This includes testing for fatigue resistance, erosion resistance, and load capacity. Computer simulations and physical testing in controlled environments are typically used to evaluate the performance and durability of the blades.

4. Can hydro turbine blades be customized for specific projects?

Yes, hydro turbine blades can be customized for specific projects. The design and material selection of the blades can be tailored to meet the specific requirements of the site, such as water flow and power output. However, it is important to consider the limitations and trade-offs of customization, such as increased costs and potential delays in production.

5. How can maintenance and repair of hydro turbine blades be managed?

Maintenance and repair of hydro turbine blades is crucial for ensuring the longevity and efficiency of the turbine. This can be managed through regular inspections and monitoring of the blades, as well as implementing a maintenance schedule based on the specific conditions and usage of the turbine. In case of any damage or wear, the blades can be repaired or replaced as necessary.