Start a High School Physics Club: Tips and Advice for Student-Led Clubs

In summary, the speaker is a high school student interested in physics and wants advice on starting a physics club. They have taken Honors Bio and are currently taking Honors Chem, as well as Johns Hopkins CTY courses in Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics. The speaker is advised to hold an inaugural meeting, formalize positions, and contact local universities for graduate students to give talks. They are also encouraged to select a teacher mentor, look into high school outreach programs, and potentially participate in university research projects. Additionally, the speaker is recommended to do tutoring and is curious about the physics program at the University of New Hampshire. They are open to any other advice as well.
Jeff Z
I am getting ready to start my sophomore year in High School. I am very interested in Physics but cannot take the class until next year. I have had Honors Bio as a freshman and am taking Honors Chem this year. I have also had Johns Hopkins CTY courses in Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics over the last two summers.

The clubs at my school are started by students. I would like any advice you may have about starting a High School Physics Club.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
- hold an inaugural meeting and formalize some positions (president, treasurer etc.) so that time you put into the club can help you with future applications
- contact local univerisities and see if any graduate students would be interested in coming to give talks on the research they do (sometimes a pizza lunch bribe helps in this regard)
- select a teacher mentor, preferably one who has an interest in physics and is perhaps a member of a high school physics teachers society
- some universities have high school outreach programs that you may want to look into
- some universities have projects that recruit high schools to assist with research (I know for a while, my alma matter had a cosmic ray detection array set up on various school roofs in the city)

In addition to those listed above, you and other members can do tutoring, which also looks nice on college apps.

Thanks this is just what I was looking for. I did not think of the university options. The University of New Hampshire is about 15 minutes from my school, do you know anything about their physics program.

I would still like any other advice.

1. What is a High School Physics Club?

A High School Physics Club is a student organization that focuses on exploring and discussing various topics in physics. It is open to students who are interested in learning more about the subject and participating in hands-on experiments and activities.

2. Who can join a High School Physics Club?

Any student who is currently enrolled in high school and has an interest in physics can join a High School Physics Club. Most clubs do not require any prior knowledge or experience in physics, and members of all grade levels are welcome to join.

3. What activities are typically done in a High School Physics Club?

Activities in a High School Physics Club may vary, but they often include hands-on experiments, discussions about current topics in physics, and guest speakers from the field. Some clubs may also participate in physics-related competitions or organize field trips to places like museums or research facilities.

4. Do I need to be good at math to join a High School Physics Club?

While a basic understanding of math is helpful in understanding physics concepts, it is not a requirement to join a High School Physics Club. The club will provide opportunities for members to learn and improve their math skills through hands-on activities and discussions.

5. How can I start a High School Physics Club at my school?

If your school does not currently have a High School Physics Club, you can speak to a teacher or advisor about starting one. You may also need to gather support from other students who are interested in joining and come up with a plan for activities and meetings. It can also be helpful to reach out to other schools or organizations for advice and resources.