Reactions of Barium Chromate with Acids: Different Results?

In summary, barium chromate can be made either red or colorless depending on the acid used. Sulfuric acid causes the solution to turn yellow, while nitric acid does not have an effect. When barium chromate and sulfuric acid are mixed, the chromate is not completely dissolved and yellow ppt is produced. However, when barium chromate and nitric acid are mixed, no ppt is produced. LeChatelier's principle is responsible for the lack of dissociation in weak acids in low pH solutions.
semc
Hi guys today in the lab i did reaction of barium chromate with hydrochloric acid and when i add HCL to barium chromate i got a reddish orange solution but when i add sulphuric acid i got a colorless solution with yellow ppt. Why is this so? Shouldn't both give me the same result since they are both acid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consult solubility table.

--
methods

Alright i googled it and found out that sulfur oxide is insoluble in barium so that is the reason why yellow ppt is formed and not a red solution?Well in that case why is it that when i add nitric acid to barium chromate there is no change in color? the solubility table says NO is soluble in anything.

You don't deal with sulfur oxide nor nictric oxide, you are so wrong I have even no idea where to start the help... Are you sure NO didn't stand for no, as opposed to YES?

Do you know what a salt is? Have you heard about insoluble salts? Do you know why salts of weak acids dissolve in strong acids? Have you heard about LeChatelier's principle? Dissociation?

--
methods

actually i was trying to say (SO4)2- haha. Erm the NO is the NO in HNO. Yeap salt is the product formed when acid and base react ya? insoluble salt is a salt that does not dissolve in the solvent? Nope no idea why it dissolve.Yeah LeChatelier's principle. Acid dissocaiation?

Put all indices and charges on the ions you are writing about, and call them properly. We need a common language. As of now we are wasting time because you speak alkhymystry instead of chemistry. No such thing as NO of HNO.

What ions are present in the solution?

Weak acid dissociation combined with LeChatelier's principle - what happens when weak acid is put into low pH solution?

--
methods

Weak acid in low pH? No dissociation? Aint HNO a strong acid?

No such thing as HNO and we are talking about the problem you have posted at the very beginning, so don't get distracted.

semc said:
Weak acid in low pH? No dissociation?

I assume you mean that weak acids are not dissociated in low pH. That's correct enough for the problem. What ions are present in the solution?

--

Ops sorry i was referring to the test with nitric acid.

Hmm ions... Ba2+, (SO4)2- and CrO4?

Stop ignoring charges. CrO4 is not an ion.

We are getting closer. Consult solubility table.

--

Dude i am not ignoring charges i just don't know what the charge is haha my chem is not that good man. (SO4)2- is not soluble in Ba2+ so that is the reason for the ppt?

CrO42-, anion of a relatively weak acid H2CrO4. Do you know why chromates are soluble in strong acids? Hint: we have already discussed it partially, what you wrote in #7 is the most important reason behind.

semc said:
(SO4)2- is not soluble in Ba2+

Geez, alkhymystry again.

Barium sulfate is not soluble in water - that means, when you have both Ba2+ and SO42- in water, sulfate will preicipitate.

--
methods

Well i tried but i just can't make them look like chemistry... alright i see the reason now but one more question. Why nothing happen when i add nitric acid to barium chromate?

I am not referring to (SO4)2- - while this is not a standard way of writing formulas, it is clear what you mean. You may try SO4-2 or SO4-- in future, these are used quite often. However, when you write about dissolving SO42- in Ba2+ it doesn't make sense.

Nitric acid should dissolve chromate, perhaps not as good as hydrochloric (it is substantially weaker).

--
methods

Alright thanks man i will take note of that

1. What is the general reaction of barium chromate with acids?

When barium chromate reacts with an acid, the barium cation (Ba2+) and the chromate anion (CrO42-) both undergo changes. The barium cation reacts with the hydrogen ions (H+) from the acid to form barium ions (Ba2+) and water (H2O). The chromate anion reacts with the hydrogen ions (H+) to form chromic acid (H2CrO4).

2. Why do different acids produce different results when reacting with barium chromate?

The results of the reaction between barium chromate and acids can vary depending on the strength of the acid. Strong acids, such as hydrochloric acid, will completely dissociate in water and produce a higher concentration of hydrogen ions (H+), leading to a more vigorous reaction with barium chromate. Weak acids, such as acetic acid, will only partially dissociate and produce a lower concentration of hydrogen ions, resulting in a slower and less intense reaction with barium chromate.

3. What factors can affect the rate of reaction between barium chromate and acids?

The rate of reaction between barium chromate and acids can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts. A higher temperature can increase the rate of reaction by providing more energy for the molecules to collide and react. An increase in the concentration of reactants can also speed up the reaction, as there are more particles available to react. Catalysts can also increase the rate of reaction by lowering the activation energy needed for the reaction to occur.

4. What are the potential hazards of working with barium chromate and acids?

Barium chromate is a toxic chemical compound that can cause skin and eye irritation, respiratory problems, and gastrointestinal issues if ingested. When handling barium chromate, it is important to wear proper protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles. Acids can also be hazardous if not handled properly, as they can cause burns and irritation to the skin and eyes.

5. How can the results of the reaction between barium chromate and acids be used in scientific experiments?

The reaction between barium chromate and acids can be used in various scientific experiments to determine the presence and concentration of acids. This is because the reaction produces a visible color change, with the formation of a yellow precipitate. The intensity of the color can be used to determine the strength of the acid, making it a useful tool in analytical chemistry. Additionally, the reaction can be used to produce other compounds, such as barium sulfate, which has various industrial and medical applications.