Bacteria make major evolutionary shift in the lab

In summary, researchers have observed a major evolutionary innovation in bacteria, providing a rare and complex new trait. This was made possible by the ability to replay history and track the accumulation of chance events. While most patterns were similar among the 12 populations, one population suddenly gained the ability to metabolize citrate, a nutrient normally not used by E. coli. This is different from common forms of evolution, such as gaining drug resistance, as it is a strictly beneficial trait. The experiments are also not old, as the initial observation of citrate utilization occurred over 10,000 generations ago.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I recently came across this article:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14094-bacteria-make-major-evolutionary-shift-in-the-lab.html
A major evolutionary innovation has unfurled right in front of researchers' eyes. It's the first time evolution has been caught in the act of making such a rare and complex new trait.

And because the species in question is a bacterium, scientists have been able to replay history to show how this evolutionary novelty grew from the accumulation of unpredictable, chance events.

Mostly, the patterns Lenski saw were similar in each separate population. All 12 evolved larger cells, for example, as well as faster growth rates on the glucose they were fed, and lower peak population densities.

But sometime around the 31,500th generation, something dramatic happened in just one of the populations - the bacteria suddenly acquired the ability to metabolise citrate, a second nutrient in their culture medium that E. coli normally cannot use.
Has anything on this scale ever been observed before?
Lenski's freezer must be an immensely valuable source of evolutionary information.
And one question, why is "lower peak population densities" something E. coli would evolve towards. Wouldn't the more successful ones have a higher population density?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't they have to recreate the phenomenon before they could say the experiment "proves" anything?

On the other hand, is this different than a bacteria/virus gaining a resistance to a drug? Isn't that a commonly occurring form of evolution along the same lines?

Pattonias said:
Wouldn't they have to recreate the phenomenon before they could say the experiment "proves" anything?

On the other hand, is this different than a bacteria/virus gaining a resistance to a drug? Isn't that a commonly occurring form of evolution along the same lines?

Not really.

Most of the immune-resistency comes out of normally "failed" bacteria, i.e, where that structure the anti-biotic targets works IMPROPERLY (thus, the anti-biotic fails to hook onto that defective structure).

I.e, these mutants would in a non-anti-biotic setting have lower reproduction rates etc than the standard strand, and be quickly swamped/smothered.

In this case, however, a strictly beneficial trait is seen to emerge, rather than a trait which is onnly beneficial in a much more specialized setting (i.e, the anti-biotic environment)

I think these experiments are old...

Sorry! said:
I think these experiments are old...

Well, if they have established that gen 20.000 could give rise to citrate-utilizing gen 32.000, then clearly, the initial observation of citrate-utilization happened well over 10.000 generations ago.

Pattonias said:
No: evolution does not claim to be a linear process.

What is the significance of bacteria making a major evolutionary shift in the lab?

The significance of bacteria making a major evolutionary shift in the lab is that it provides evidence for the theory of evolution, which states that organisms can adapt and change over time in response to their environment. This experiment shows that even simple organisms like bacteria have the ability to evolve and adapt.

How did scientists induce this evolutionary shift in the bacteria?

Scientists induced the evolutionary shift in the bacteria by exposing them to different environments and conditions, such as different temperatures, food sources, and antibiotics. This created selective pressure, causing the bacteria to adapt and evolve in order to survive.

What does this evolutionary shift mean for the future of bacteria and other organisms?

This evolutionary shift suggests that bacteria and other organisms have the potential to continue evolving and adapting in response to changing environments. It also raises questions about how this could affect the development of new antibiotics and the spread of antibiotic resistance.

Can this experiment be replicated with other organisms?

Yes, this experiment can be replicated with other organisms. In fact, similar experiments have been conducted with other species, such as fruit flies and mice, showing that evolution can occur in a controlled laboratory setting.

What are the implications of this experiment for our understanding of evolution?

This experiment adds to our understanding of evolution by providing evidence that organisms can adapt and evolve in response to their environment, even in a controlled laboratory setting. It also highlights the important role of natural selection in driving evolutionary change.