Area of a hyperbolic paraboloid contained within a cylinder

In summary, The person is struggling to find the area of the hyperbolic paraboloid z=xy contained within the cylinder x^{2}+y^{2}=1. They have parametrized the cylinder into polar coordinates, but are having trouble finding the z limits for integration. The expert suggests parameterizing the hyperbolic paraboloid instead and provides a parameterization using polar variables. They also provide the formula for finding the surface area using this parameterization.
Juggler123
I've posted on this before and have now realized I was doing it completely wrong before but's still bugging me. I have to find the area of the hyperbolic paraboloid z=xy contained within the cylinder x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1.

I've parametrized x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1 into polar coordinates to give that dA=d[tex]\theta[/tex]dz

I also know that 0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]2[tex]\pi[/tex]

But I'm still having trouble finding the z limits for that part of the integration. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't the cylinder you need to parameterize, it's the hyperbolic paraboloid. Incidentally, that part inside the cylinder looks just like a pringle. Try this parameterization:

[tex]\vec{R}(r,\theta) = \langle r*cos(\theta), r*sin(\theta),r^2cos(\theta)sin(\theta)\rangle[/tex]

with
[tex]dS = |\vec{R}_r \times \vec{R}_\theta |dr d\theta[/tex]

where [itex](r, \theta)[/itex] are the usual polar variables in the xy plane.

1. What is a hyperbolic paraboloid?

A hyperbolic paraboloid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a saddle or a pringles chip. It is a type of quadric surface that can be formed by intersecting a plane with a double cone at different angles.

2. How is the area of a hyperbolic paraboloid calculated?

The area of a hyperbolic paraboloid can be calculated by using the formula A = 2ab, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

3. What is a cylinder?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with two parallel circular bases that are connected by a curved surface. It can be thought of as a stack of circles.

4. How is the area of a cylinder calculated?

The area of a cylinder can be calculated by using the formula A = 2πrh + 2πr^2, where r is the radius of the circular base and h is the height of the cylinder.

5. How can the area of a hyperbolic paraboloid contained within a cylinder be found?

To find the area of a hyperbolic paraboloid contained within a cylinder, you can use the formula A = 2ab - 2πr^2, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the hyperbolic paraboloid and r is the radius of the circular base of the cylinder.