Degeneracy and commuting observables

In summary, the author discusses the concept of simultaneous eigenbases and how they are important in determining the nondegeneracy of eigenvalues.
foxjwill

Homework Statement

Theorem 5 of a text I've been reading that I downloaded from online (for interested parties, the link (a pdf) is http://bohr.physics.berkeley.edu/classes/221/0708/notes/hilbert.pdf) says that
"If two observables A and B commute, [A, B] = 0, then any nondegenerate eigenket of A is also an eigenket of B. (It may be a degenerate eigenket of B.)"​

What I don't understand is how the eigenket could be degenerate in B. I am assuming, I hope correctly, that by "degenerate eigenket" the author means "an eigenket in a degenerate eigenspace". My line of thought is as follows:

Since [A,B]=0, A and B have the same eigenbasis and therefore the same eigenspaces. But then because the degeneracy of an eigenspace is defined to be its dimension, any degenerate eigenspace of A must also be a degenerate eigenspace of B, and vice-versa.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, say A is nondegenerate, then B's matrix elements are all diagonal in A's representation

You can see it quite fast, by sandwiching the commutator between two basekets.

Well considering A as nondegenerate might not help, because it switches A and B in the problem...

Last edited:
White said:
You can see it quite fast, by sandwiching the commutator between two basekets.

You can see what quite fast?

Hi foxjwill,

I'm not totally sure I understand the question and the setup. As you say, the wording is a bit poor, but let me give it a shot.

I believe what you're looking for can be illustrated with the simple example of a particle moving on a line. Let A = p (momentum) and B = p^2 so that [A,B] = 0. Eigenvalues of A are all non-degenerate, but eigenvalues of B are all two fold degenerate except for p = 0.

Thus any eigenstate of A belonging to a non-degenerate eigenvalue (in this case, all of them) is an eigenstate of B. However, an eigenstate of B like |p>+|-p> (which is degenerate with |p> - |-p>, for example) is NOT an eigenstate of A, hence the non-degeneracy condition is important.

Hope this helps.

Physics Monkey said:
Hi foxjwill,

I'm not totally sure I understand the question and the setup. As you say, the wording is a bit poor, but let me give it a shot.

I believe what you're looking for can be illustrated with the simple example of a particle moving on a line. Let A = p (momentum) and B = p^2 so that [A,B] = 0. Eigenvalues of A are all non-degenerate, but eigenvalues of B are all two fold degenerate except for p = 0.

Thus any eigenstate of A belonging to a non-degenerate eigenvalue (in this case, all of them) is an eigenstate of B. However, an eigenstate of B like |p>+|-p> (which is degenerate with |p> - |-p>, for example) is NOT an eigenstate of A, hence the non-degeneracy condition is important.

Hope this helps.

That definitely helps. What I think is holding my back is that I had taken "simultaneous eigenbases" to mean "the same eigenbasis". Which brings me to the next question: What does "simultaneous eigenbases" mean?

1. What is degeneracy in quantum mechanics?

Degeneracy in quantum mechanics refers to the phenomenon where multiple states of a system have the same energy level. This means that the system can be in any of these states without changing its total energy.

2. How is degeneracy related to commuting observables?

Degeneracy is related to commuting observables because when two or more observables commute, it means that they have the same set of eigenstates. This results in a degenerate system where the energy levels are the same for these eigenstates.

3. Can degeneracy occur in classical systems?

No, degeneracy does not occur in classical systems. In classical mechanics, the energy of a system is continuous and can take on any value. In quantum mechanics, energy levels are quantized and can be degenerate.

4. How is degeneracy important in quantum chemistry?

Degeneracy is important in quantum chemistry because it helps to explain the stability of atoms and molecules. Degenerate energy levels allow for different electron configurations to have the same energy, resulting in more stable systems. This is also important in understanding chemical bonding and the electronic structure of molecules.

5. How do scientists use degeneracy to predict the behavior of systems?

Scientists use degeneracy to predict the behavior of systems by studying the symmetry properties of the system. Degenerate states are often associated with symmetries, and understanding these symmetries can help predict the behavior of the system and its energy levels. Additionally, degeneracy can be used to identify and classify different quantum states.