Prove Wilson's theorem by Lagrange's theorem

• Thread starter kingwinner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, using Lagrange's Theorem, we can prove Wilson's Theorem by considering the polynomial f(x) = (x-1)(x-2)...(x-(p-1)) - (x^{p-1} - 1) for an odd prime p. By expanding f(x), we can see that it has at most p-2 roots mod p if a_{p-2} ≡/≡ 0 (mod p), which contradicts the fact that for a=1,2,...,p-1, f(a) ≡ 0 (mod p). Therefore, we must have f(x) ≡ 0 (mod p) and f(0) ≡
kingwinner
Lagrange's Theorem: let p be any prime and [tex]f(x) = a_nx^n +a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_1x + a_0[/tex] with [tex]a_n[/tex] ≡/≡ 0 (mod p). Then f(x) 0 (mod p) has at most n solutions.

Use the above theorem to prove Wilson's theorem.
Hint: Let [tex]f(x) = (x-1)(x-2)...(x-(p-1)) - (x^{p-1} - 1)[/tex] for an odd prime p.

Proof:
Expanding,
[tex]f(x) = (x-1)(x-2)...(x-(p-1)) - (x^{p-1} - 1)[/tex]
= [tex]a_{p-2}x^{p-2} +...+ a_1x + a_0[/tex] where the [tex]a_i[/tex] are some coefficients
By the above theorem, f has at most p-2 roots mod p IF [tex]a_{p-2}[/tex] ≡/≡ 0 (mod p). (*)
But by Fermat's theorem, for a=1,2,...,p-1, [tex]a^{p-1} -1[/tex] ≡ 0 (mod p).
So for a=1,2,...,p-1, f(a) ≡ 0 (mod p).
So f has at least p-1 roots mod p. (**)
(*) and (**) contradict unless f(x) ≡ 0 (mod p). Therefore, we must have f(x) ≡ 0 (mod p).
=> f(0)=(-1)(-2)...(-(p-1)) - (-1) ≡ 0 (mod p)
=> [tex](-1)^{p-1} (p-1)! + 1[/tex] ≡ 0 (mod p)
For odd primes p, p-1 is even, so (p-1)! ≡ -1 (mod p)
(For p=2, check directly.)
=========================================

I don't understand the two lines in red.
I understand that there is a contradiction, but why does this imply that f(x) ≡ 0 (mod p)? Why in this case, there will be no contradiction? I'm totally lost here...

Also, f(x) ≡ 0 (mod p) doesn't necessarily mean it holds for EVERY integer x, so why can we substitute x=0 and say that f(0) ≡ 0 (mod p)? What is the justification for this step?

I hope someone can explain this proof.
Thank you very much!

[also under discussion in math help forum]

Physics news on Phys.org
If a polynomial with at most p-2 roots has, in fact, p-1, then it must be identically 0.

JSuarez said:
If a polynomial with at most p-2 roots has, in fact, p-1, then it must be identically 0.

Why? What is the reasoning?
Polynomial with at most p-2 roots has, in fact, p-1 roots <----this is already a contradiction. The statement is inconsistent...

Because the complete statement of Lagrange's theorem, is that, if f(x) is a nontrivial (not identically 0) polynomial with degree n, then it has at most n roots (mod p).

This doesn't happen with your polynomial, so it must be the trivial one. What does this imply for f(0)(mod p)?

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I got it!

1. How does Wilson's theorem relate to Lagrange's theorem?

Wilson's theorem states that if p is a prime number, then (p-1)! + 1 is divisible by p. Lagrange's theorem, on the other hand, states that if G is a finite group and H is a subgroup of G, then the order of H divides the order of G. These two theorems are related because Lagrange's theorem is a generalization of Wilson's theorem, where the subgroup H is the set of numbers relatively prime to p.

2. What is the significance of proving Wilson's theorem using Lagrange's theorem?

Proving Wilson's theorem using Lagrange's theorem provides a more general and elegant proof for Wilson's theorem. It also highlights the connection between number theory and group theory, showing how results and concepts from one field can be applied to the other.

3. Can Wilson's theorem be proven without using Lagrange's theorem?

Yes, there are multiple ways to prove Wilson's theorem without using Lagrange's theorem. Some other proofs use concepts from number theory, such as the Chinese remainder theorem, while others use techniques from abstract algebra, such as the concept of a primitive root.

4. How does the proof of Wilson's theorem using Lagrange's theorem work?

The proof of Wilson's theorem using Lagrange's theorem involves constructing a finite group G with p elements (where p is a prime number) and a subgroup H with (p-1)! elements. Since (p-1)! is the number of numbers relatively prime to p, this subgroup H will contain all the numbers that satisfy the condition of Wilson's theorem. Then, by applying Lagrange's theorem, it can be shown that the order of H divides the order of G, which proves Wilson's theorem.

5. What are some applications of Wilson's theorem?

Wilson's theorem has various applications in number theory, such as in finding and proving prime numbers. It is also used in cryptography, particularly in the creation of public-key cryptosystems. In addition, Wilson's theorem has connections to other mathematical concepts, such as Fermat's little theorem and Euler's totient function.