Meassuring Resistance under water?

In summary, Matt wants to measure the resistance of a wire as he joule heats it under water. He plans to attach electrodes and use insulated leads, and put the wire in distilled water to measure a voltage drop. He believes that since the resistance of the water is much greater than that of the wire, he should be able to get accurate measurements. However, there was a typo in his statement and he meant to compare the resistance of the water to that of the resistor.
HappMatt
Hey,

So as part of a experiment I am curious to be able to measure the resistance of a wire as I joule heat it under water to be able to get a steady state temp vs current. My thought is to attach electrodes to a metal wire to put a current across it and measure a voltage drop(4 point probe). I would likely use insulated leads attached to the wire that i want to measure. Additionally I would put the wire in distilled water when I make the measurements. So my thought is that since the resistance of the water is so much greater than that of the water I should be able to get a relatively accurate measurements. Does this make sense or am I missing something.

Thanks
Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
HappMatt said:
Hey,

So as part of a experiment I am curious to be able to measure the resistance of a wire as I joule heat it under water to be able to get a steady state temp vs current. My thought is to attach electrodes to a metal wire to put a current across it and measure a voltage drop(4 point probe). I would likely use insulated leads attached to the wire that i want to measure. Additionally I would put the wire in distilled water when I make the measurements. So my thought is that since the resistance of the water is so much greater than that of the water I should be able to get a relatively accurate measurements. Does this make sense or am I missing something.

Thanks
Matt

Makes perfect sense, except for the simple typo in your next to last sentence. You should be fine.

berkeman said:
Makes perfect sense, except for the simple typo in your next to last sentence. You should be fine.

sense instead of since? not the first time and I actually meant to type it that way.
Thanks
Matt

HappMatt said:
... So my thought is that since the resistance of the water is so much greater than that of the water I should be able to get a relatively accurate measurements...

Your typo was saying that you plan to compare the resistance of the water to the water (itself).

Yeah, change the 2nd water --> resistor.

What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or object opposes the flow of electrical current. It is typically measured in ohms (Ω).

Why is it important to measure resistance under water?

Measuring resistance under water allows scientists to understand the properties of different materials and how they behave in aquatic environments. This can provide important information for designing and constructing underwater structures and equipment, as well as studying the effects of electricity on aquatic organisms.

How is resistance measured under water?

Resistance can be measured using a variety of methods and equipment, such as multimeters, ohmmeters, and specialized underwater probes. These instruments send a small electrical current through the material and measure the resulting voltage to calculate the resistance.

What factors can affect resistance under water?

The salinity, temperature, and depth of the water can all impact the resistance of a material. Additionally, the type and composition of the material itself can also play a role in its resistance under water.

What are some practical applications of measuring resistance under water?

Measuring resistance under water has many practical applications, such as testing the effectiveness of corrosion-resistant coatings on underwater structures, evaluating the performance of electrical equipment in aquatic environments, and studying the electrical properties of marine organisms.