How Do Rocking Bowl Oscillations Relate to Torque and Moment of Inertia?

• Thread starter Fuzzy Static
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillations
In summary: This equation can then be simplified to T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{2\sumT}}. Therefore, the period of oscillation for the hemispherical shell is given by T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{2\sumT}}.
Fuzzy Static

Homework Statement

A hemispherical shell with its curved surface resting on a table will rock back and forth. To derive the period, use [tex]\sum[/tex]T=I[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]_{}z[/tex]. Sum the torques about the instantaneous point of contact and make the small angle approximation sin [tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\approx[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex].
You will need to know the location of the center of mass. It can be shown that the center of mass of the shell is halfway between the center of curvature and surface. (You don't have to show it.)
You will also need the moment of inertia. Since we will restrict ourselves to small angle oscillations, just use the moment of inertia about the equilibrium point of contact.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex]T=I[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]_{}z[/tex]
sin [tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\approx[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Um... Using the sum of Torque = the moment of Inertia times alpha. No clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the center of mass is halfway between the center of curvature and surface, the moment of inertia would be half of the total moment of inertia. The small angle approximation will help us simplify the expression for the period. We can use the formula T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{\sumT}} to find the period. Using the given information, we can solve for T as follows:T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I/2}{\sumT}}

1. What is a rocking bowl oscillation?

A rocking bowl oscillation is a type of periodic motion in which a bowl or container filled with liquid moves back and forth in a rocking motion. This motion is caused by the displacement of the liquid inside the bowl, which creates a restoring force that causes the bowl to oscillate.

2. What factors affect the frequency of a rocking bowl oscillation?

The frequency of a rocking bowl oscillation is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the bowl, the amount and viscosity of the liquid, and the angle of the bowl's tilt.

3. How is a rocking bowl oscillation different from a pendulum?

A rocking bowl oscillation and a pendulum share some similarities, such as both exhibiting periodic motion. However, a pendulum's motion is controlled by gravity, while a rocking bowl oscillation is influenced by the properties of the liquid inside the bowl.

4. Can a rocking bowl oscillation be used for practical purposes?

Yes, a rocking bowl oscillation has been used in various applications such as mixing and blending liquids, generating electricity through mechanical energy, and studying fluid dynamics and wave motion.

5. Are there any real-life examples of rocking bowl oscillations?

Yes, one example of a rocking bowl oscillation can be seen in the motion of a ship at sea. The rocking motion of the ship is caused by the displacement of water, similar to how a rocking bowl oscillation is caused by the displacement of liquid inside a bowl. Another example is the motion of a washing machine during the spin cycle.