Mineral+fluid intake during blood donation

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary, the speaker often donates blood but experiences weakness, dizziness, and nausea afterwards. They have found that drinking lots of fluids helps, but they still feel tired throughout the day. Recently, they brought their own homemade "sports drink" to the donation center and sipped it while donating blood, resulting in feeling almost normal afterwards. They believe their dizziness may be psychological and that they have enough body mass for the amount of blood taken. They also mention the possibility of drinking extra water before donating. They then discuss their friend who can go to the gym after donating blood, and clarify that they were in a recliner chair during the donation.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I try to give blood a few times every year. What's been bothering me is the feeling of weakness/dizziness/nausea right after the donation. Drinking lots of fluids afterwards (water, fruit juice, sports drinks) helped, but I continued to feel weak and tired throughout the day.

Today I've decided to run an "experiment" and brought a 2-qt. bottle of homemade "sports drink" (water, pear juice, salt, sugar, mineral water with lime flavor) with me to the donation center, and sipped it while they were collecting my blood. Afterwards, I felt almost normal, with almost no weakness or dizziness; it's nearly been "just another day."

Physics news on Phys.org
I always feel dizzy - even faint if I don't stay lying down for 10-15mins afterwards.
I think it's psychological, they only take 500ml and I have more than enough body mass for that to be negligible!
I guess they don't want people drinking while they donate because you are lying down and might choke or disturb the needle if you sit up to drink.
I will have to try drinking an extra litre of water immediately before.

I think the average person only has 5L of blood to begin with! I get pretty severe nosebleeds sometimes, and it always leaves me feeling a little weak and woozy for a few hours afterwards.

My friend goes to the gym with me sometimes right after giving blood. But he's a big guy and has a lot of blood left.

For the record, they put me on a recliner kind of chair. I wouldn't have attempted it if I was lying down.

1. How much mineral and fluid intake is recommended before donating blood?

The recommended amount of mineral and fluid intake before donating blood varies depending on your weight, but it is generally recommended to drink 16-20 ounces of water or other fluids before donating. It is also important to consume foods rich in minerals, such as leafy greens, nuts, and whole grains, to replenish electrolytes.

2. Can I drink caffeinated beverages before donating blood?

It is not recommended to consume caffeinated beverages, such as coffee or energy drinks, before donating blood. These can cause dehydration and lead to a decrease in blood volume, making it more difficult for the blood to be drawn.

3. Is it important to replenish minerals and fluids after donating blood?

Yes, it is important to replenish minerals and fluids after donating blood. Donating blood can lead to a temporary decrease in blood volume, so it is important to drink plenty of fluids and eat a well-balanced meal to help your body recover.

4. Are there any specific minerals that are important to consume before and after donating blood?

Yes, there are certain minerals that are important to consume before and after donating blood. Iron, for example, is essential for the production of red blood cells, so it is important to have adequate levels before donating. Potassium and magnesium are also important for maintaining electrolyte balance and preventing muscle cramps during and after donation.

5. How long should I wait to exercise or engage in strenuous activity after donating blood?

It is recommended to wait at least 24 hours before engaging in any strenuous activity after donating blood. This allows your body time to replenish fluids and minerals and recover from the donation. It is important to listen to your body and avoid pushing yourself too hard after donating blood.