How Do You Calculate the Expectation Value of L_z Using cos(φ)?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating the expectation value of L_z from a given wavefunction. The person is unsure about what is expected and whether they need to decompose the cosine into eigenfunctions. The other person explains that they do need to do this and that the squared coefficients will give them the probability of each state. The conversation then moves on to another question, where the person is unsure how to sketch the squared form of a given wave function. The other person suggests sketching the second term and adjusting it vertically based on the first term, unless there is a mistake in the first term.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

Hi, my problem is with part two of the question I've attached. I'm not exactly sure what they are expecting me to do, is it simply calculating the expectation value of L_z , from the wavefunction given (i.e. cos(φ))

Thanks.

Attachments

• qmqunit1.JPG
    qmqunit1.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what part you have a problem with. I am assuming the 2nd paragraph. They basically want you to decompose the cosine into a superposition of eigenfunctions. The magnitude squared of the coefficients for each eigenfunction will give you the probability of that state.

nickjer said:
Not sure what part you have a problem with. I am assuming the 2nd paragraph. They basically want you to decompose the cosine into a superposition of eigenfunctions. The magnitude squared of the coefficients for each eigenfunction will give you the probability of that state.

Oh yes, forgot about decomposing cosine and sine.

I got another question, which is, if given a wave function like

u = Acosine(Pi/2a) + B sin(Pix/a)

How would I sketch the form of this squared (i.e. the probability distribution)?

The first term looks like a constant, so you would just sketch the 2nd term and have it raised or lowered vertically by a constant. Unless you mistyped the first term.

Hi there,

The question is asking you to calculate the expectation value of the angular momentum operator in the z-direction, known as L_z. This operator is defined as -iħ∂/∂φ, where φ is the azimuthal angle in spherical coordinates.

To calculate the expectation value, you will need to use the given wavefunction, cos(φ), and integrate it with the operator L_z. This will give you the average value of the angular momentum in the z-direction for this wavefunction.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your homework!

1. What is the definition of an Angular Momentum operator?

An Angular Momentum operator is a mathematical representation of the physical quantity of angular momentum, which is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of particles, and is typically denoted by the symbol L.

2. How is an Angular Momentum operator represented mathematically?

An Angular Momentum operator is represented by a vector operator in three dimensions, with each component corresponding to the angular momentum in one of the three coordinate directions (x, y, and z). It can also be expressed as a linear combination of the position and momentum operators.

3. What is the physical significance of Angular Momentum operators?

Angular Momentum operators have physical significance in the sense that they represent the quantized angular momentum of particles in quantum mechanics. This means that the angular momentum of a particle can only take on certain discrete values, rather than being continuous.

4. How do Angular Momentum operators relate to the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle states that there is a fundamental limit to how precisely we can know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Angular Momentum operators are related to this principle, as they are non-commuting operators, meaning that the order in which they are applied can affect the outcome. This leads to uncertainty in the measurement of angular momentum.

5. How are Angular Momentum operators used in practical applications?

Angular Momentum operators are used extensively in quantum mechanics to solve problems related to the behavior of particles in rotational motion. They are also important in fields such as atomic and molecular physics, where they can help describe the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules. Additionally, they are used in technology such as MRI machines, which use the principles of quantum mechanics to create detailed images of the body.