Collapsing a wave function by measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the energy of a system in an infinite potential well and determining the probability of obtaining a specific energy value. This can be done through an integral involving the wavefunction and the eigen state. The person asking the question is on the right track and will need to substitute values and evaluate the integral to find the probability.
ricegrad
Lets say we have a system in a 1D infinite potential well, prepared somehow with the wavefunction: (phi)=C(a-x)x. I understand that if I try to measure the system's energy, I will collapse the system to an eigen state ((psi)=Asin(n pi x/length)+Bcos(n pi x/length)), returning an eigen energy. I want to know what the probability is that I will measure the energy to be the energy for n=5. I think I would take the following integral:

integral over length of the box of (phi)(psi)dx where n=5 in the wavefunction (psi).

Am I on the right track here? Or way off base?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your help!Yes, you are on the right track. The probability of measuring the energy for n=5 is given by the integral you wrote. To calculate this integral, you need to substitute (psi) with its expression in terms of A, B, and n, and then evaluate the integral.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes its state and the probability of finding the system in a particular state when measured.

2. What is the collapse of a wave function?

The collapse of a wave function refers to the sudden change in the state of a quantum system when it is measured. This collapse occurs when the wave function, which describes the system's possible states, is reduced to a single state after measurement.

3. What causes the collapse of a wave function?

The collapse of a wave function is caused by the interaction between the quantum system and the measurement apparatus. When a measurement is made, the measurement apparatus interacts with the system and causes the wave function to collapse into a single state.

4. Why is the collapse of a wave function important?

The collapse of a wave function is important because it allows us to obtain information about the state of a quantum system. Without this collapse, we would not be able to make meaningful measurements and understand the behavior of quantum systems.

5. Can the collapse of a wave function be reversed?

In most interpretations of quantum mechanics, the collapse of a wave function is considered irreversible. Once a measurement is made, the wave function collapses and cannot be reversed. However, there are some interpretations that suggest the possibility of wave function "recoiling" or returning to its original state after measurement.