Average Speed/Average Velocity Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the average speed and average velocity of a trip with multiple legs and stops. The distances, angles, and time spent at each city are given. The main difference between average speed and average velocity is that velocity is a vector quantity while speed is a scalar quantity. To solve the problem, you will need to break down each vector into its x and y components and use the given formula for velocity.
pitchharmonics
I have a physics problem here that I need help solving. I need to figure out how to find the average speed and average velocity of a trip.

City A to City B is 55 miles with an angle 7.86 degrees west of north.

City B to City C is 75.5 miles with an angle 25.9 degrees west of north

City C to City D is 208 miles with an angle of 41.1 degrees west of north

City D to City E is 98.8 miles with an angle of 5.45 degrees north of west

----I take one 10 minute stop to fill up gas.

Then I return taking a scenic route:

City E to City F is 89 miles with an angle of 24.1 degrees east of south

City F to City G is 23.6 miles with an angle of 14.8 degrees east of south

City G to City H is 194 miles with an angle of 41.2 degrees south of east

City H to City A is 88.0 miles with an angle of 18.4 degrees south of east

--------I spend 45 minutes at each city on the way back

--------Average Speed for entire trip is 53.7 mi/h

1. what is the average speed and average velocity from City A to City C?

2. what is the average speed and average velocity from City C to City E?

3. What is the average speed and average velocity from City E to City A on the return?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help might be given if you show some of your own work! :wink:

Do I break this down into all the x and y components? of each vector?

Our book uses average speed and average velocty as if they were the same, what is the main difference

Velocity is a vector quantity; speed is the (scalar) magnitude of that quantity.

speed = total distance / total time

velocity = change in displacement/change in time

r cos angle= x component

r sin angle= y component

this is all I know

1. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

The main difference between average speed and average velocity is that average speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving over a certain distance, while average velocity is a measure of the speed and direction of an object's motion. Average speed does not take into account the direction of motion, while average velocity does.

2. How do you calculate average speed?

To calculate average speed, you divide the total distance traveled by the total time it took to travel that distance. This is represented by the formula: average speed = total distance / total time.

3. How do you calculate average velocity?

To calculate average velocity, you divide the displacement (change in position) by the total time it took to travel that distance. This is represented by the formula: average velocity = displacement / total time.

4. Can average speed and average velocity be the same?

No, average speed and average velocity cannot be the same. As mentioned earlier, average speed does not take into account the direction of motion, while average velocity does. Therefore, even if an object is traveling at a constant speed, if it changes direction, its average speed and average velocity will be different.

5. What is the importance of understanding average speed and average velocity?

Average speed and average velocity are important concepts in physics and other sciences because they help us understand the motion of objects. They are also essential for calculating other important quantities such as acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity over time. These concepts are also used in real-life applications such as measuring the speed of vehicles or calculating the displacement of an object.