What is the process for finding max, min, and avg temp for a given function?

• Thread starter ACLerok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary: CIn summary, you are given a function that approximates the outdoor temperature on a particular day where t is the time in hours after 9pm. To find the max and min temps and average temp on that day between 9am - 9pm, you need to derive the given function and set it equal to 0 to find the high and low times. Then, you can plug those times back into the original equation to find the max and min temps. To find the average temp, you need to integrate the function from 0 to 12 and multiply it by 1/12. However, it is not necessary to use calculus in this case and you can simply use the fact that the maximum value for the function
ACLerok
Alright, I am given a function that approximates the outdoor temperature on a particular day where t is the time in hours after 9pm.
T(t)=50+14sin([pi*t]/12)

I am to find the max and min temps and average temps on tha day between 9am - 9pm. I know i am supposed to derive the given function to find the max and min temps but once i have the derived function, what am i supposed to do with it? The instructor didn't go in depth on how we are supposed to do it. Also, i know that to find the average temp you are supposed to integrate it and do

T_avg=(1/12)integral(0-12)T(t)dt

Is that all there is to it for finding the average temp?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
9 pm-9am ? t is the time in hours after 9 pm ...

thats the way it says on the sheet. anyone else have any input?

To answer the first part of your question, think about what you are doing when you derive a function: you are finding a general equation in terms of a variable for the slope of the original function. What can you do with this equation to find the min/max values? (Huge hint: what is the slope equal to at those points?). Don't forget to verify to see which result is max and which is min.

Sirus said:
To answer the first part of your question, think about what you are doing when you derive a function: you are finding a general equation in terms of a variable for the slope of the original function. What can you do with this equation to find the min/max values? (Huge hint: what is the slope equal to at those points?). Don't forget to verify to see which result is max and which is min.

I guess the slope would be zero at those points. so i just compute the derivative of T(t)=50+14sin([pi*t]/12) and plug in 0 for t to find the max and mins?

No. You do not want to know the temp. at time=0. Remember, the derived equation represents the slope, and as you said yourself, the slope is zero at max/min points.

Why don't you draw the graph to find the max and min?
Average has to do the integration.

Attachments

• Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    2.1 KB · Views: 450
Sirus said:
No. You do not want to know the temp. at time=0. Remember, the derived equation represents the slope, and as you said yourself, the slope is zero at max/min points.

alright.. I am guessing I'm supposed to derive the T(t) equation, set that equal to 0 and find the high and low times and then plug those times back in the original equation? Thakns for all your help.

PS this is prolly wrong. as for graphing it, my teacher would prefer us not to.

sometimes it's not necessary to use calculus.
|sin(alpha)|< or = 1 => the maxium value for this function is sin(alpha)=1
and the minimum => sin(alpha)=-1from here you can use these value to obtain: for "T"max, T(t)= 50+14=64 and for "T"min, T(t)=50-14 =36.
wisky40

ACLerok,
wisky40's way is the fastest to obtain the min. but derivative won't help you to find the max. from the graph i drew,the max happens when t is 6 hours after 9pm, means it happens at 3 am which is out of the range of the question which states from 9 am-9pm. i think for this period, the max is just 50 which happens at t = 12 and 24 corresponds to 9 am and 9 pm respectively.

real quick. how would i evaluate the integral of sin[(pi*x)/12]?

is it just -cos[(pi*t)/12] ?

Last edited:
ACLerok said:
real quick. how would i evaluate the integral of sin[(pi*x)/12]?

is it just -cos[(pi*t)/12] ?

No. It is
[tex]
\frac{-cos\frac{\pi t}{12}}{\frac{\pi}{12}}[/tex]

1. What do max, min, and avg temp represent?

Max, min, and avg temp stand for maximum, minimum, and average temperature, respectively. These are commonly used measures to describe the range and central tendency of temperature data.

2. How are max, min, and avg temp calculated?

Max temp is calculated by finding the highest temperature value in a given dataset. Min temp is calculated by finding the lowest temperature value. Avg temp is calculated by finding the sum of all temperature values and dividing by the number of values in the dataset.

3. Why are max, min, and avg temp important in scientific research?

Max, min, and avg temp provide important information about temperature patterns and trends in a specific location. This data can be used to understand climate change, predict weather patterns, and inform agricultural practices.

4. Can max, min, and avg temp vary significantly in a short period of time?

Yes, max, min, and avg temp can vary significantly depending on weather conditions and other factors. For example, a sudden heat wave or cold front can cause a significant increase or decrease in temperature, resulting in a change in max, min, and avg temp.

5. How can max, min, and avg temp be affected by human activity?

Human activity, such as urbanization and industrialization, can contribute to changes in temperature patterns. This can lead to higher max and avg temps due to the urban heat island effect, and lower min temps due to pollution and other factors.