Can the Fermat's Last Theorem be expanded to higher powers?

• Thread starter robert80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the Fermat's last theorem being solved for n = 2 and the expansion of the problem to find solutions for n = 3 and higher. The conversation also mentions Euler's conjecture, which is now known to be false, and the possibility of creating a new theorem to better explain the relationship between powers of n and natural solutions.
robert80
You all know that the Fermats last theorem is solved for some years and that the equation

a^n + b^n = c^n

is solved when a,b,c being the natural numbers only for n = 2.

I would like to expand a problem:

Can anybody proove that:

a^n + b^n + c^n = d^n has a solutions a,b,c,d in the natural numbers for n = 3 and that for each higher n equation is non solveable?

Lets carry on: Can anybody proove that a^n + b^n + c^n + d^n + e^n = f^n for n = 4 the last solution exists?and for n>4 there are no solutions?

Thanks,

Robert

it would be very nice to find the rule, how many particles on the power of n you have to sum that you get the last solution of the equation in order of given n.

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to be asking about Euler's conjecture, which is now known to be false.

958004 + 2175194 + 4145604 = 4224814
275 + 845 + 1105 + 1335 = 1445

So you need at least n-1 natural numbers in order to define next one ? I don't know anything about Eulers conjecture...I don't even know it exists :)

Sorry now I see, haven't heard about it before. I have read it on Wikipedia now. But its funny that I got the idea without hearing f it :) Just some centuries too late :)

Just one more thing. Does this holds for any n? How can we know or assume, how many variables we need in order to describe a next one?Isnt it possible that when we reach n = 1000 we need much more variables (or less) than when n = 999? Does it have any importance in some special vector spaces? Thank you.

Euler's conjecture was that solutions would only exist if the number of summands was greater than or equal to the power. His conjecture stated that, for example, integer solutions exist to a3+b3+c3=d3 and to a4+b4+c4+d4=e4 but not to a4+b4+c4=d4 or a5+b5+c5+d5=e5. The counterexamples in post #2 show that this is conjecture is not true.

You are leaping to conclusions based on those counterexamples. Don't do that.

Thank you so much, you are really kind. Yes I got that,,, BUT why don't the matematicians do the another theorem about powers of n and natural solutions in general? I mean, this Eulers conjecture is now proved to be wrong, so why don't they do better one, till is proved to be right or in worse case wrong? Those 2 are only specific cases for general Eulers Conjecture. And it is very true if you find the solution so, that for the lower n-s does not hold true. I think it should be proven to be wrong in general for every n.

1. What is the Expended Fermat's Last Theorem?

The Expended Fermat's Last Theorem is an extension of the famous Fermat's Last Theorem, which states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2. The Expended Fermat's Last Theorem extends this concept to equations of the form an + bn + cn = dn, where a, b, c, and d are positive integers and n is an integer greater than 2.

2. Who proved the Expended Fermat's Last Theorem?

The Expended Fermat's Last Theorem was first proved by British mathematician Andrew Wiles in 1994, building upon the groundbreaking work of mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century.

3. What was the significance of proving the Expended Fermat's Last Theorem?

The proof of the Expended Fermat's Last Theorem was a major milestone in the field of mathematics, as it proved a conjecture that had been unsolved for over 350 years. It also provided a deeper understanding of number theory and algebraic geometry, and opened up new areas of research in these fields.

4. What are some applications of the Expended Fermat's Last Theorem?

The Expended Fermat's Last Theorem has practical applications in coding theory and cryptography, as it provides a basis for the security of certain encryption algorithms. It also has implications in other branches of mathematics, such as elliptic curves and modular forms.

5. Is the Expended Fermat's Last Theorem still being studied?

Yes, the Expended Fermat's Last Theorem is still an active area of research in mathematics, with ongoing studies looking at generalizations and variations of the theorem. It continues to be a source of inspiration for mathematicians, and has led to significant advancements in related fields.