Mechanical or Electrical: Which Major Should I Choose for Transfer?

In summary: I think Mech probably has concepts that are a little easier to visualize for some people, but on the other hand I have seen people do much better in E&M courses than Mechanics courses.
AdamP
Hi guys i am transferring out of a community college in los angeles to either a UC or a cal-state campus. Prospects are ucla, UCsandiego, Ucirvine, UC santabarbara, calstate northridge, cal state long beach... I have to submit my application in 2 days and I still can not decide on what to do with my major. I have the requirements for both EE and ME, and normally I like ME a bit better than EE, however I feel like EE would be a better path for me. I feel like I would be a bit more technical and more in need if I studied EE instead of ME. Give me some opinions guys, I am stuck big time...

Physics news on Phys.org
Go with ME if you think you'll like it better. Odds are you'll be able to switch it in the first 1-2 years with little issue anyways.

I am a transfer student so all I have is 2 years :)

AdamP said:
I am a transfer student so all I have is 2 years :)

I don't see how that is relevant, given that you claim to like ME more.

fss said:
I don't see how that is relevant, given that you claim to like ME more.

Well it is a little half-hearted to say i like ME more since I have never been exposed to an actual engineering class. I say I like ME more since, I would rather work on a hydrolic arm or an engine than a circuit board.

Is ME a very demanding major? I am a senior in high school and I want to pursue either a ME or an Aerospace engineering major.

Any engineering discipline is a demanding major, although it does vary somewhat, but you're still going to have to work your butt off. Unless you're an Ultra-Genius, in which case you should stop ruining the curve you jerk!

Between the two, I'd say mech is an 'easier' major, but that's like choosing between death by acid bath and death by being covered in honey and tied up in the summer sun. They're both hard majors.

Angry Citizen said:
Between the two, I'd say mech is an 'easier' major, but that's like choosing between death by acid bath and death by being covered in honey and tied up in the summer sun. They're both hard majors.

hahah whhhhhat?...I'd take the acid bath.

I think Mech probably has concepts that are a little easier to visualize for some people, but on the other hand I have seen people do much better in E&M courses than Mechanics courses. I'd guess they are both difficult in their own respects.

1. What is the difference between mechanical and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and operation of mechanical systems such as machines, tools, and engines. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. Which field has better job prospects, mechanical or electrical engineering?

Both mechanical and electrical engineering have excellent job prospects. It ultimately depends on the industry and specific job market, as both fields have a high demand in various industries such as manufacturing, energy, and technology.

3. What skills are needed to excel in mechanical or electrical engineering?

In both fields, strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential. Mechanical engineers should have a good understanding of mechanics, materials, and thermodynamics, while electrical engineers should have a solid foundation in mathematics, physics, and circuitry.

4. Is it possible to combine mechanical and electrical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to combine mechanical and electrical engineering in a field called mechatronics. Mechatronics engineers use both mechanical and electrical principles to design and develop innovative systems such as robots, automated machines, and smart devices.

5. What are some common applications of mechanical and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and construction, where machines and structures need to be designed and built. Electrical engineering is applied in fields such as power generation, telecommunications, and computer hardware and software development.