Analog volume control, digital volume control

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between analog and digital volume controls in old and new TVs. The advantages of using digital over analog include cost, remote control capability, and less noise. While analog may offer more flexibility, it is limited by the quality of the audio signal and can also be noisy.
jackson6612
I'm not a science student; have some basic knowledge of it. So, please explain in as much detail as possible. Thanks.

I have seen some old TV sets with a round knob to adjust volume. A guy told me that it's an analog volume control while the new TVs come with digital volume control where you adjust it by pressing a button. Is it true? What are the advantages of using digital over analog in this case? Isn't analog a good choice? Why? Because I suspect a digital control can only go from one fixed value to another fixed with no midway value. e.g. you can get from 2 to 3 to 4 but not from 2 to 2.5. But an analog gives a lot of flexibility between any two values. By the way, I don't know how these things work, just guessing.

Please guide me. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
jackson6612 said:
I have seen some old TV sets with a round knob to adjust volume.
Yes - it's a potentiometer = a variable resistor.

What are the advantages of using digital over analog in this case?
Cheaper, the potnetiometer costs more than a button and it's difficult to remote control.
Although I have an expensive amplifier where the remote control drives a motor which turns the volume knob.

Isn't analog a good choice? ... But an analog gives a lot of flexibility between any two values.
In theory yes, but in practice there is a limited amount of quality in the audio signal (especially on a TV) so if there is 0.5 units of "noise" then being able to adjust form 2 to 2.5 is a bit pointless. You can always make the digital control to go up in 0.1 unit steps if you like.

Another reason for the digital is that the potentiometer is noisy when it is being turned (at least on cheap ones) so you get a crackle or hiss as you adjust it which people dislike.

1. What is the difference between analog and digital volume control?

Analog volume control adjusts the volume by manipulating the electrical signal, while digital volume control adjusts the volume by changing the numerical representation of the signal.

2. Which type of volume control is more accurate?

Digital volume control is more accurate because it allows for precise adjustments in small increments.

3. Can analog and digital volume control be used together?

Yes, some audio systems use a combination of both analog and digital volume control to achieve the desired sound quality.

4. Which type of volume control is more susceptible to noise interference?

Analog volume control is more susceptible to noise interference because it relies on manipulating the electrical signal, which can be affected by outside interference.

5. What are the advantages of using digital volume control?

Digital volume control offers greater precision, easier integration with other digital systems, and the ability to store and recall specific volume settings.