How Do Torque and Work Relate in Physical Systems?

In summary, the first problem involves four horses pulling an old-fashioned drill with four levers and the question is how much work do they perform together over one full revolution. The work is equal to 2*pi*torque and in order to find the torque, the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied and the angle the force makes with the radial vector must be considered. The second problem involves finding the work done by the biceps when lifting a 2 kg mass from a lower arm positioned at a 45 degree angle downward to horizontal against gravity. The first step would be to find the vertical distance the mass is lifted. Both problems involve torque and work, but the specific calculations differ.
MLoren
1. Four horses together pull an old-fashioned drill of the type used to make big guns. It has four levers mounted horizontally on a revolving central axes. Assuming each horse pulls at the same angle of 45 degress to the radial lever of the drill, and pulls with a given force, T, how much work do the horses perform together over one full revolution of the drill?

I got as far as drawing out the picture of this problem and starting the work: First of all the Work of one revolution is equal to 2*pi*torque right? Then in trying to find the torque... this is where I get confused.

Also...
2. How much work do the biceps perform when lifting a 2 kg mass from the lower arm positioned 45 degrees downward to horizontal?

This problem I don't even know where to start.

Both of these problems involve torque and work but i am not sure how to relate them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
MLoren said:
I got as far as drawing out the picture of this problem and starting the work: First of all the Work of one revolution is equal to 2*pi*torque right?
Right.
Then in trying to find the torque... this is where I get confused.
The torque exerted by a force about an axis is [itex]\tau = \vec{r}\times\vec{F} = r F sin\theta[/itex], where r is the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the force makes with the radial vector.

Also...
2. How much work do the biceps perform when lifting a 2 kg mass from the lower arm positioned 45 degrees downward to horizontal?
Since the work is done against gravity, start by finding the vertical distance the mass is lifted.

Minor point, Al, but you have equated a vector to scalars. Obviously it's not what you meant.

Tide said:
Minor point, Al, but you have equated a vector to scalars. Obviously it's not what you meant.
You caught me being lazy, Tide! :blushing:
Yes, the torque is a vector. [itex]r F sin\theta[/itex] is just the magnitude of the torque.

1. What are some strategies for working through difficult physics problems?

Some strategies for working through difficult physics problems include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, drawing diagrams or illustrations to visualize the problem, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and to approach problems with a logical and systematic mindset. You can also try working through problems with a study group or seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor.

3. What should I do if I feel stuck on a physics problem?

If you feel stuck on a physics problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try looking for similar problems in your textbook or online to see how they were solved. If you are still struggling, seek help from a teacher or tutor.

4. How can I avoid making careless mistakes in physics problem-solving?

To avoid making careless mistakes in physics problem-solving, it is important to double-check your work and calculations. Pay attention to units and significant figures, and make sure to show all of your work so that you can easily catch any errors.

5. What are some common misconceptions about solving physics problems?

Some common misconceptions about solving physics problems include thinking that there is only one correct way to solve a problem, not paying attention to units or significant figures, and assuming that memorization is more important than critical thinking and understanding concepts.