Total voltage vs Battery voltage within Circuits

In summary, total electrical potential refers to the overall potential difference in a circuit, while potential provided by the battery specifically refers to the potential difference created by the battery alone. To solve for the total voltage, one can use Kirchhoff's voltage law, while to solve for the potential provided by the battery, one can use Ohm's law or Kirchhoff's voltage law.
JettyZ

Homework Statement

Please see the attached image, or here:
attachment.php?attachmentid=31672&stc=1&d=1296189923.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31672&stc=1&d=1296189923
Cut-off, is 6.0 V

I don't quite understand what this question is asking in (b) and (d):
What is the difference between total electrical potential and potential provided by the battery?

It sounds like I'm being asked the same question here and I don't see how I would go about solving for voltage total and voltage from the battery.

Homework Equations

I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I found current through the parallel portion of the circuit.

Then, I used that to find the voltage of the entire circuit.

Would that be total voltage, or battery voltage?

Attachments

• scan.jpeg
    scan.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 572
Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify the difference between total electrical potential and potential provided by the battery. Total electrical potential refers to the overall potential difference in the entire circuit, including the potential provided by the battery and any other sources of potential, such as resistors or other components. On the other hand, potential provided by the battery refers specifically to the potential difference created by the battery alone.

To solve for the total voltage, you can use Kirchhoff's voltage law, which states that the sum of all the potential differences in a closed loop must equal zero. This means that the total voltage in a circuit is equal to the sum of the potential differences provided by each component. In this case, you can add the potential difference provided by the battery (6.0 V) to the potential difference across the parallel portion of the circuit to find the total voltage.

To solve for the potential provided by the battery, you can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to find the voltage drop across the resistor in series with the battery. This voltage drop will be equal to the potential provided by the battery. Alternatively, you can use Kirchhoff's voltage law to find the potential difference across the battery, which will also be equal to the potential provided by the battery.

I hope this helps clarify the difference between total electrical potential and potential provided by the battery. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the difference between total voltage and battery voltage within circuits?

Total voltage refers to the sum of all the individual voltages in a circuit, while battery voltage specifically refers to the voltage provided by the battery. In some cases, the total voltage may be equal to the battery voltage, but in others, it may be higher due to the presence of additional voltage sources.

2. How is total voltage calculated in a circuit?

Total voltage can be calculated by adding up all the individual voltages in a circuit. This includes the voltage of the battery, as well as any other voltage sources such as resistors, capacitors, or inductors. The total voltage is measured in volts (V).

3. What factors can affect the total voltage in a circuit?

The total voltage in a circuit can be affected by the number and type of voltage sources, as well as the presence of resistors and other components. Additionally, the arrangement of the components in the circuit, such as series or parallel connections, can also impact the total voltage.

4. How does the total voltage impact the functioning of a circuit?

The total voltage in a circuit is an important factor in determining the flow of electric current. It can also affect the brightness of light bulbs or the speed of motors in the circuit. If the total voltage is too low, the circuit may not function properly, and if it is too high, it can cause damage to the components.

5. Can the total voltage in a circuit ever be higher than the battery voltage?

Yes, the total voltage in a circuit can be higher than the battery voltage if there are additional voltage sources in the circuit. This can occur in circuits with multiple batteries, or when other components such as capacitors or inductors are present, which can store and release energy, effectively increasing the total voltage in the circuit.