General Relativity tensor proof

In summary, to prove that tauijkl is equal to 3tauiljk in all coordinate systems, one can use the similarity transformation of tensors. This means that if tauijkl is given in the {xi}-system, it can be found in any other coordinate system (such as the {xj}-system) using the formula T^{x_j} = U^\dagger T^{x_i} U, where U is a unitary tensor. The key property of U is that U^\dagger U = U U^\dagger = I, which means that it is its own inverse. This property can be used to simplify the proof without having to actually calculate U.
regretfuljones
Prove that if tauijkl is a tensor such that, in the {xi}-system, tauijkl=3tauiljk , then tauijkl=3 tauiljkin all coordinate systems.

How would one go about proving this for all coordinate systems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the similarity transformation of tensors. If I have a tensor that is given in the [tex]x_i[/tex] basis I can find what that tensor looks like in any other basis (say the [tex]x_j[/tex] basis) by the following

[tex]T^{x_j} = U^\dagger T^{x_i} U[/tex] (1)

Here, [tex]U[/tex] is a unitary tensor that relates the components of a vector described in the two different bases. The key property of [tex]U[/tex] is

[tex]U^\dagger U = U U^\dagger = I[/tex] (2)

Here, [tex]I[/tex] is the identity tensor. Anyway, play around with that. You won't need to actually calculate what [tex]U[/tex] is. You just have to know (1) and (2).

The proof of this statement involves understanding the properties of tensors in general relativity and how they transform between different coordinate systems. In general relativity, tensors are mathematical objects that describe the geometric properties of spacetime and they are defined as quantities that transform in a specific way under coordinate transformations.

To prove that tauijkl=3 tauiljkin all coordinate systems, we first need to understand how tensors transform under coordinate transformations. In general, tensors transform according to the following rule:

T^{\alpha\beta\gamma...}_{\mu\nu\rho...} = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x'^{\mu}} \frac{\partial x^{\beta}}{\partial x'^{\nu}} \frac{\partial x^{\gamma}}{\partial x'^{\rho}}... T'^{\mu\nu\rho...}_{\alpha\beta\gamma...}

Where T and T' represent the tensor in the original and transformed coordinate systems, respectively, and x and x' represent the coordinates in the original and transformed systems, respectively.

Now, let's apply this transformation rule to the given tensor tauijkl, where we have tauijkl=3tauiljk in the {xi}-system. We can write this as:

tauijkl = 3 tauijkl

Using the transformation rule, we can express this in the new coordinate system as:

tauijkl = \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x'^j} \frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x'^k} \frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x'^l} 3 tauijkl

Since the transformation rule applies to all coordinate systems, this means that the above equation holds true for any coordinate system. Therefore, we can conclude that tauijkl=3tauiljkin all coordinate systems, as desired.

In summary, the proof of this statement relies on understanding the transformation properties of tensors in general relativity and applying the transformation rule to the given tensor. By showing that the equation holds true for any coordinate system, we can conclude that tauijkl=3 tauiljkin all coordinate systems.

1. What is the General Relativity tensor proof?

The General Relativity tensor proof is a mathematical demonstration that proves the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It uses the concept of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe the curvature of space and time, to show how gravity is not a force in the traditional sense, but rather a result of the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects.

2. Why is the General Relativity tensor proof important?

The General Relativity tensor proof is important because it provides a rigorous mathematical foundation for understanding the nature of gravity and its effects on the universe. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, making it one of the most well-supported theories in physics.

3. How does the General Relativity tensor proof differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

The General Relativity tensor proof differs from Newton's theory of gravity in that it takes into account the concept of space-time curvature, whereas Newton's theory describes gravity as a force acting between two objects. Additionally, general relativity also predicts phenomena that are not explained by Newton's theory, such as the bending of light and the existence of black holes.

4. Can the General Relativity tensor proof be understood by non-scientists?

While the mathematics behind the General Relativity tensor proof may be difficult for non-scientists to understand, the basic concepts and implications of the theory can be explained in simpler terms. There are also numerous resources available, such as books and videos, that aim to make general relativity more accessible to the general public.

5. Are there any criticisms of the General Relativity tensor proof?

While the General Relativity tensor proof has been widely accepted by the scientific community, there have been some criticisms and attempts to modify the theory. Some physicists have proposed alternative theories of gravity, such as string theory or loop quantum gravity, which attempt to reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics. However, these theories are still in the early stages of development and have yet to be fully tested and accepted.