Build a Solar-Powered Pool Pump: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter booter10ca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Pump
In summary: I will definitely be looking into those options!In summary, a 5W solar panel would not be enough to power a pump, but a 1 kVA inverter could be used to charge a battery system to power the pump.
booter10ca
hey
i have a 5W pv panel and was wondering if i could build some sort of circuit to run my pool pump? was wondering what i would need ... any thoughts would be appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably more than 5W.

Like skeptic said, I think you'd be hard-pressed to run your pump off 5W.

However, you could always use that 5W solar cell as a circuit to power a circuit that enables your pump.

thats what I am looking to do, i know 5w isn't enough but if there is some sort of circuit i can construct to harness the power in battery cells or some other form is what I am looking to try and do

Start by determining the HP required by your pump. IF it is say 0.5 HP, you will probably need 1 kVA peak for starting volt-amps in a 0.5 HP induction motor. Store the energy from the panel in a lead-acid battery, and use a 1 kVA inverter. The average power will depend on the duty cycle of the pump. You can probably get 10 watts per square foot for charging a battery system, or ≈0.1 kilowatt-hours per day per square foot. Use an inverter to get 60 Hz power from a battery. You might be better off with a dc brush motor or a BLDC (brushless dc) motor, because the starting VA requirement is less.

Bob S

Bob S said:
Start by determining the HP required by your pump. IF it is say 0.5 HP, you will probably need 1 kVA peak for starting volt-amps in a 0.5 HP induction motor. Store the energy from the panel in a lead-acid battery, and use a 1 kVA inverter. The average power will depend on the duty cycle of the pump. You can probably get 10 watts per square foot for charging a battery system, or ≈0.1 kilowatt-hours per day per square foot. Use an inverter to get 60 Hz power from a battery. You might be better off with a dc brush motor or a BLDC (brushless dc) motor, because the starting VA requirement is less.

Bob S

Thanks alot

1. What is a solar-powered pool pump?

A solar-powered pool pump is a type of pool pump that uses energy from the sun to power its operation. It harnesses solar energy through solar panels, which convert sunlight into electricity that is then used to run the pump.

2. How does a solar-powered pool pump work?

A solar-powered pool pump works by using solar panels to collect sunlight. The solar panels convert the sunlight into electricity, which is then used to power the pump. The pump circulates the pool water, keeping it clean and free of debris.

3. What are the benefits of using a solar-powered pool pump?

There are several benefits to using a solar-powered pool pump. It can significantly reduce energy costs, as it does not require electricity from the grid to operate. It is also eco-friendly, as it uses renewable energy and reduces carbon emissions. Additionally, it requires less maintenance and can extend the lifespan of your pool equipment.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a solar-powered pool pump?

One potential drawback of using a solar-powered pool pump is that it may not be as efficient in cloudy or rainy weather. This can impact its ability to properly circulate and clean the pool water. Additionally, the initial cost of installing a solar-powered pump may be higher than a traditional electric pump, although the long-term cost savings can outweigh this.

5. Can a solar-powered pool pump be used for all types of pools?

Yes, a solar-powered pool pump can be used for all types of pools, including in-ground and above-ground pools. The size and number of solar panels needed may vary depending on the size of the pool and the amount of sunlight it receives. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best setup for your specific pool.