Fourier series odd and even functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about the coefficients in a standard Fourier series for an odd function. The solution states that B_n c^n = 0 due to symmetry reasons, but this would result in a series with only cosine terms, contradicting the fact that the function is odd. It is suggested that the book may have forgotten to specify which function is being discussed, as defining the function over different intervals can result in different symmetries. The purpose of the term cn is also questioned.
sommerfugl
Hello

I'am a little confused. In my textbook it is written that all odd function can be described by a sine series.

I have this following equation from an exercise:

[tex]A_{0}+\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty (A_{n} cos(n \phi) + B_{n} sin(n \phi))c^{n} = sin(\dfrac{\phi}{2})[/tex]

It's a standard Fourier serie, where n and c is positive. T
hen it is written in the solution that [tex]B_{n}c^{n} = 0[/tex] because of symmetry reasons. And I'am confused because then the Fourier serie only have cosine term and the function on the right hand side is an odd function?!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Off hand I would say you are right. For an odd function the A's should be 0, not the B's. Also if c is a constant, what is the point of cn, since the direct calculation of the coefficients doesn't give them.

When you find the Fourier series, you are taking the function to be periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex].

I think your book is taking the function as [itex]\sin \phi/2[/itex] on the interval [itex][0, 2\pi][/itex] and extending it to be periodic for other values of [itex]\phi[/itex]. That is an even function.

If you defined the function as [itex]\sin \phi/2[/itex] over the interval [itex][-\pi, \pi][/itex], that is a different function which is odd.

It could be that the book forgot to say which of these functions it is talking about.

I agree with #2, I don't see the purpose the [itex]c^n[/itex] (or for [itex]c_n[/itex], if there was a typo).

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions. It is named after French mathematician and physicist Jean-Baptiste Joseph Fourier.

What is an odd function?

An odd function is a mathematical function that is symmetric about the origin, meaning that it has rotational symmetry of 180 degrees. This means that if the function is rotated 180 degrees around the origin, it will look the same as the original function.

What is an even function?

An even function is a mathematical function that is symmetric about the y-axis, meaning that it has reflectional symmetry. This means that if the function is reflected across the y-axis, it will look exactly the same as the original function.

How are odd and even functions related to Fourier series?

In a Fourier series, odd functions are represented only by sine terms, while even functions are represented only by cosine terms. This is because odd functions have a sine-like shape, while even functions have a cosine-like shape. This allows for simpler mathematical representation and calculations.

Why are Fourier series important?

Fourier series have many applications in mathematics and science, including signal processing, image processing, and differential equations. They allow for complex functions to be broken down into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand them. They also have practical applications in engineering and physics.