Garrity's Formula: Ordering Covariant Alternating Tensors

In summary, the conversation discusses the conventions for ordering the vectors of a standard basis for the spaces of 2-form fields and tangent vector fields in a manifold, as well as the rules for transforming a 2-form field into a tangent vector field and a 1-form field into a tangent vector field. It is observed that Garrity's basis for /\2(R3) is ordered alphabetically, while the dual basis to the coordinate basis is ordered in a different way. It is questioned whether this convention is followed for /\k(Rn) generally and if there are standard names for these bases. The conversation also mentions that Garrity calls the dual basis to {dxi} the "natural basis" but does not give a specific name to
Rasalhague
I have a question about Garrity's formula at the top of p. 125, here, for a function from the set of 2-form fields to the set of tangent vector fields, together with the formula on p. 123 for the exterior derivative of a 1-form field and Theorem 6.3.1 on p. 125 (Garrity: All the Mathematics you Missed).

These relations seem to depend on a convention for ordering the vectors of a standard basis for /\2(R3). Is that right? Is there a convention for ordering the vectors of a standard basis for /\k(Rn). If so, what is the convention?

Physics news on Phys.org

To elaborate: where the manifold is R3, Garrity gives the following rule for transforming a 2-form field into a tangent vector field:

[tex]T_2(\alpha_i \, e^i)=\alpha_3 \, \partial_1 - \alpha_2 \, \partial_2 + \alpha_1 \, \partial_3 = (\alpha_3,-\alpha_2,\alpha_1),[/tex]

where ei is a constant basis field for /\2(R3), consisting of wedge products of all permutations of pairs of coordinate basis 1-form fields with indices in ascending order: (1,2), (1,3), (2,3). He gives the following rule for transforming a 1-form field into a tangent vector field:

[tex]T_1(\omega) = (\omega_1,\omega_2,\omega_3),[/tex]

and the following rule relating the exterior derivative of a differentiable 1-form field to the curl of its corresponding tangent vector field:

[tex]T_2(\mathrm{d}\omega) = \text{curl}(T_1(\omega)).[/tex]

Now, consider a differentiable 1-form field

[tex]\omega = \omega_i \, \mathrm{d}x^i.[/tex]

By the coordinate-basis definition of the exterior derivative,

[tex]\mathrm{d} \omega = \mathrm{d}\omega_i \wedge \mathrm{d}x^i[/tex]

[tex]=\mathrm{d} \omega = \left ( \partial_k \omega_i \, \mathrm{d}x^k \right ) \wedge \mathrm{d}x^i[/tex]

[tex]=\left ( \partial_1 \omega_2 - \partial_2 \omega_1 \right ) \mathrm{d}x^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}x^2 + \left ( \partial_1 \omega_3 - \partial_3 \omega_1 \right ) \mathrm{d}x^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}x^3 + \left ( \partial_2 \omega_3 - \partial_3 \omega_2 \right ) \mathrm{d}x^2 \wedge \mathrm{d}x^3.[/tex]

The foregoing implies Garrity is using the order

[tex](e^1, e^2, e^3) = \left ( \mathrm{d}x^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}x^2 \right, \mathrm{d}x^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}x^3, \mathrm{d}x^2 \wedge \mathrm{d}x^3 ).[/tex]

I notice that this differs in order from the dual basis to the coordinate basis, when /\2(R3) is "considered as" the dual space to /\1(R3), i.e.

[tex]( \mathrm{d}x^2 \wedge \mathrm{d}x^3, \mathrm{d}x^3 \wedge \mathrm{d}x^1, \mathrm{d}x^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}x^2).[/tex]

The Garrity basis, in this case, is ordered "alphabetically". Is that convention followed for /\k(Rn) generally? Are there standard names for each of these bases: the "Hodge dual basis" and the "alphabetic basis"?

EDIT: Oh, I see he calls the (Hodge) dual basis to {dxi} the "natural basis". I don't think he gives a particular name to his alphabetic basis. Perhaps he considers the latter too natural to need a name : )

Last edited:

1. What is Garrity's Formula?

Garrity's Formula is a mathematical formula used to order covariant alternating tensors. It was developed by American mathematician and physicist Peter Garrity.

2. What is a covariant alternating tensor?

A covariant alternating tensor is a mathematical object that is used to represent multilinear functions on vector spaces. It is characterized by its ability to change sign under certain permutations of its arguments.

3. How does Garrity's Formula work?

Garrity's Formula involves using the Levi-Civita symbol and the Einstein summation convention to write out the tensor as a sum of products of basis vectors. It then reorders the basis vectors to match the desired ordering of the tensor, using the Levi-Civita symbol to track the changes in sign.

4. Why is Garrity's Formula important?

Garrity's Formula is important because it allows for the easy manipulation of covariant alternating tensors, which are essential in various areas of mathematics and physics. It simplifies calculations and allows for a more efficient representation of these tensors.

5. Are there any limitations to Garrity's Formula?

While Garrity's Formula is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to tensors that are covariant and alternating, and it may not work for more complex tensors. Additionally, it requires a solid understanding of the Levi-Civita symbol and the Einstein summation convention to use effectively.