Calculating membrane potential (Vm) given resistance and equilibrium potentials

In summary: K)ln(33200) / 30000 = 0.0328 V = 32.8 mVTherefore, the membrane potential (Vm) of the cell is approximately 32.8 mV.
NOP90

Homework Statement

Calculate the membrane potential (Vm) of a cell, given the following resistances and equilibrium potentials (10 marks)

E(K) = -80mV, R(K) = 0.2*10^6 ohms, E(Na) = 60mV, R(Na) = 0.2*10^6 ohms

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

In my texts I have read that they relate some of the workings of a cell to a battery. So I used an equation from my last year physics lectures on electricity:

I = E(Na) - E(K) / R(Na) + R(K)

If I plug in the values I get a current of 3.5*10^-4

The lecture then asks about potential difference, which may translate to membrane potential (given that the lecture is about electricity and not specifically a cell). So I worked out the current in hope that current is needed for another equation. It's worth 10 marks so I'm assuming more than 1 equation will be used.

Physics news on Phys.org

To calculate the membrane potential (Vm) of a cell, we can use the Goldman-Hodgkin-Katz (GHK) equation:

Vm = (RT/F)ln(PK[K]o + PNa[Na]o + PCl[Cl]i) / (PK[K]i + PNa[Na]i + PCl[Cl]o)

Where:
- R is the gas constant (8.314 J/K/mol)
- T is the absolute temperature (in Kelvin)
- F is the Faraday constant (96,485 C/mol)
- PK, PNa, and PCl are the membrane permeabilities of potassium, sodium, and chloride ions, respectively
- [K]o, [Na]o, and [Cl]i are the extracellular concentrations of potassium, sodium, and chloride ions, respectively
- [K]i, [Na]i, and [Cl]o are the intracellular concentrations of potassium, sodium, and chloride ions, respectively

Using the given values, we can calculate the membrane potential as follows:

Vm = (8.314 J/K/mol)(298 K)ln((0.2*10^6)[K]o + (0.2*10^6)[Na]o + 0) / ((0.2*10^6)[K]i + (0.2*10^6)[Na]i + 0)

Since the concentration of chloride ions is not given, we assume it to be 0. Therefore, the equation simplifies to:

Vm = (8.314 J/K/mol)(298 K)ln((0.2*10^6)[K]o + (0.2*10^6)[Na]o) / ((0.2*10^6)[K]i + (0.2*10^6)[Na]i)

Now, we can plug in the given values for [K]o, [Na]o, [K]i, and [Na]i:

Vm = (8.314 J/K/mol)(298 K)ln((0.2*10^6)(4 mM) + (0.2*10^6)(145 mM)) / ((0.2*10^6)(140 mM) + (0.2*10^6)(12 mM))

Simplifying further, we get:

Vm = (8.314 J/K/mol

1. How do I calculate membrane potential (Vm) given resistance and equilibrium potentials?

To calculate membrane potential (Vm), you can use the following formula: Vm = (Eion1 + Eion2 + Eion3 + ... + Eionn) / n, where Eion is the equilibrium potential for each ion and n is the number of ions. To calculate the equilibrium potential for each ion, you can use the Nernst equation: Eion = (RT/zF) * ln([ion]o/[ion]i), where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, z is the valence of the ion, F is Faraday's constant, [ion]o is the extracellular ion concentration, and [ion]i is the intracellular ion concentration.

2. What is the significance of resistance in calculating membrane potential (Vm)?

Resistance refers to the opposition to the flow of ions in a cell membrane. It determines how easily ions can move across the membrane and affects the magnitude of the membrane potential. Higher resistance means a lower ion flow and vice versa.

3. Can I calculate membrane potential (Vm) without knowing the equilibrium potentials for each ion?

Yes, you can calculate membrane potential (Vm) by summing the weighted average of equilibrium potentials for each ion, with the weights being the relative permeabilities of each ion. This is known as the Goldman-Hodgkin-Katz equation.

4. How does changing the resistance or equilibrium potentials affect the membrane potential (Vm)?

Changing the resistance will directly affect the magnitude of the membrane potential. Higher resistance means a lower magnitude of Vm and vice versa. Changing the equilibrium potentials will change the relative contributions of each ion to the overall membrane potential, thus altering the overall magnitude of Vm.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate membrane potential (Vm) for both excitable and non-excitable cells?

The formula for calculating membrane potential (Vm) can be used for both excitable and non-excitable cells, as long as the membrane is selectively permeable to certain ions. However, the values for resistance and equilibrium potentials may vary depending on the type of cell.