What is the relationship between pressure and depth in a scuba diver's lungs?

In summary: Atmospheric pressure is usually measured in pounds per square inch, or Pa. If you're doing calculations in SI units, you'll want to convert everything to SI before you do the calculations. Then, in the final answer, you can change the units back to pounds per square inch.In summary, if a scuba diver fills his lungs to full capasity of 5.5 L when 8.0 m below the surface, to what volume would his lungs expand if he quickly rose to the surface?
notsam

Homework Statement

If a scuba diver fills his lungs to full capasity of 5.5 L when 8.0 m below the surface, to what volume would his lungs expand if he quickly rose to the surface?

Homework Equations

P=pg(H)

The Attempt at a Solution

Heyguys! :) I know that P=pgh but I have volume...

Physics news on Phys.org
Below the surface of the Sun?

From the ideal gas law, which says PV=nRT, you can see that PV is constant if T is constant. So P1*V1=P2*V2, and you already know how to calculate the pressures. Just don't forget to add in the contribution from atmospheric pressure.

If T were constant, that would be all you need to do. However, a more realistic model is to assume an adiabatic process, since there's no heat exchange if the diver rises quickly. If you haven't learned about adiabatic processes yet, don't worry about it. If you have, do you know the equation relating pressure and volume?

what is the link with Power radiated by the Sun?

Sorry about the power radiated by the Sun I posted this late last night. The Power radiated by the Sun went to a diffrent problem and I guess I just tagged it as this one.

OK! So I think I get it So the expanded equation looks like pgh underwater*V=pgh surface* V?! YES? V at the surface is my only unknown and my relative height of the diver will be 0?

The pressure at the surface is 1 atmosphere. The pressure increases with depth according to ρgh. The ideal gas law allows you to relate the volumes with the pressures.

Do I need to use pa or atm?

Since your ρgh formula will yield Pascals, you might want to head in that direction.

1 atm = 101,325 pascals

Last edited:

And I'll have to change my Volume to M^3 so that it can cancel out with the density of water. Right?

notsam said:
And I'll have to change my Volume to M^3 so that it can cancel out with the density of water. Right?

If your equations are set up as ratios (the usual case with ideal gas law type questions), then the conversion factors would cancel. You should be able to leave the volume units as-is.

p1*v1 = p2*v2

v2 = (p1/p2)*v1

The "trick" is to have the pressures in the same units, since you have to assume that the pressure at the surface is one atmosphere, and you calculate the pressure with depth by means which yield Pascals.

its better you convert everything in SI units before you calculate, and at the end change the units of the final answer as per requirement.

1. What is the power radiated by the Sun?

The power radiated by the Sun is the amount of energy that the Sun emits in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This includes visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, and other types of radiation.

2. How is the power radiated by the Sun measured?

The power radiated by the Sun is measured in watts (W), which is a unit of energy per unit time. Specifically, the power output of the Sun is about 3.828 x 10^26 watts.

3. Why is the power radiated by the Sun important?

The power radiated by the Sun is important because it is the primary source of energy for life on Earth. It provides light and heat to sustain plants, animals, and humans. It also drives weather patterns and the Earth's climate.

4. How does the power radiated by the Sun vary?

The power radiated by the Sun varies over time due to changes in the Sun's magnetic activity and the 11-year solar cycle. It also varies depending on the location on the Earth's surface and the time of day.

5. How does the power radiated by the Sun compare to other stars?

The power radiated by the Sun is relatively low compared to other stars in our galaxy. It is classified as a G-type main-sequence star and is considered to be a relatively average star in terms of size and power output. There are much larger and more powerful stars in the universe.