BTSM Review Papers: Guide to Navigating Research Fields

In summary, it can be overwhelming for an outsider to keep up with developments in modern physics. Review papers provide a good starting point to familiarize oneself with different research fields, but finding the right papers can be time consuming. To address this issue, the idea of creating a collection of review papers for quick reference was proposed. The definition of a review paper is kept broad, and the collection includes papers on various research fields, such as string theory and matrix models. Some suggested papers include ones on AdS/CFT, non-commutative geometry, causal dynamical triangulations, and the patterns and structures underlying the standard model.
S.Daedalus
It's difficult, especially for an outsider, to keep track of the multifaceted development of modern physics -- to even maintain a broad overview of research fields and directions, much less keep on top of the details. Review papers, I think, provide a good starting point to familiarize oneself broadly with the main developments of a research programme; they can provide a map to a territory otherwise difficult to navigate. But hunting for the appropriate (and sufficiently current) papers online and elsewhere can be quite time consuming.

To this end, I thought it would be nice to have a collection available for quick reference, so that next time I think 'hmm, what was asymptotic safety all about, again?' I can just open up this thread, find the right paper, and jump in. Thus the idea is that everybody interested just supplies a link to one or more papers detailing the current state and development of whatever research programmes they might be interested in, perhaps with some explanation if it's not clear from the title what the paper is about. I'd like to keep the definition of 'review paper' rather broad for present purposes -- occasionally, you encounter a paper presenting a specific result, which nevertheless contains such a clear overview of the field that you keep it around as more of a reference and guide rather than on account of its other merits. I also don't wish to clearly delineate the definition of 'research field' -- everything goes, from the breadth of 'string theory' to more narrow sub fields. However, I think it'd be good if the presentation does not start out too involved -- a review is of no use if one needs to be intimately familiar with the field already to understand it --, and if the article includes a good amount of references for further study.

Unfortunately, I can only think of two articles offhand to start this thing off; both are maybe not quite up to date (I'd welcome updates), but they're the most recent ones I read:

• http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0602037" -- Polchinski, Horowitz: As the name says, it's about AdS/CFT and its extensions
  • http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0101126" -- Taylor: About matrix models of M- and string theory

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The AdS/CFT article is part of a book edited by Oriti. Most of the book is on the archive. Search for papers with "Oriti" in their comments.

Introduction to ADS-CFT

there are quite a few review articles on arXiv, it would be nice have links.

A few more:

• http://arxiv.org/abs/0705.0489" -- Brief review of NCG for a general audience
  • http://arxiv.org/abs/1004.0464" -- More serious, in-depth review by Connes and Chamseddine
  • http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.5582" -- Recent review of Causal Dynamical Triangulations (haven't really had a look at it yet, though)
  • http://arxiv.org/abs/0904.1556" -- Probably one of my favourite papers ever; lucid and insightful (well, it's Baez) presentation of the patterns and structures that lie beneath the standard model, and how they may hint at grand unification

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a BTSM Review Paper?

A BTSM Review Paper is a comprehensive overview of a specific research field, usually written by experts in the field. It provides a summary of current research, identifies key gaps or controversies, and suggests future directions for research.

2. How do I navigate a BTSM Review Paper?

To navigate a BTSM Review Paper, start by reading the abstract and introduction to get an overview of the topic. Then, skim through the headings and subheadings to identify key themes and sections that are most relevant to your interests. Finally, read the conclusion for a summary and recommendations for future research.

3. What makes a BTSM Review Paper a reliable source of information?

BTSM Review Papers are considered reliable sources of information because they are written by experts in the field and undergo a rigorous peer-review process before publication. Additionally, they are based on a thorough analysis of existing research and provide a comprehensive overview of the current state of the field.

4. How can I use a BTSM Review Paper in my own research?

BTSM Review Papers can be used as a starting point for research by providing a thorough understanding of the current state of a research field. They can also be used to identify key gaps or controversies in the field that may inspire new research ideas or inform research questions.

5. Are BTSM Review Papers only relevant for scientists in a specific field?

No, BTSM Review Papers can be useful for scientists in various fields as they provide a broad overview of a research topic and its current state. They can also be helpful for non-scientists who want to gain a deeper understanding of a particular subject area.