Calculating Current Gain of Op Amp for Converting Picoamps to Volts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to convert a picoamp current output from a detector into a voltage output between 1-5V for connection to an ADC. The attempt at a solution involves using an op amp for current amplification and a resistor to convert the amplified current into voltage, and grounding the output. The use of a TL071 op amp is suggested, but the conversation reveals a lack of knowledge about op amps and the difficulty of amplifying picoamp signals. The conversation concludes with a request for suggestions on a suitable circuit and a question about the existence of a way to find the exact current gain of an op amp.
d.sonali20
current gain of an op amp?

Homework Statement

need to convert current(output of a detector) in the range of pico amps to voltage between 1-5V

Homework Equations

(to connect to an adc)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've connected an op amp(for current amplification) to a resistor(to convert the amplified current into voltage)and grounded it and a friend suggested using TL071 op amp.but i don't know much about op amps.
what i want to know is for a certain input current and for a certain op amp how can i calculate the output current?
only by knowing that i can calculate the value of the resistor to be used
the data sheet gives voltage gain but not current gain.
please help me out

Physics news on Phys.org

d.sonali20 said:

Homework Statement

need to convert current(output of a detector) in the range of pico amps to voltage between 1-5V

Homework Equations

(to connect to an adc)

I've connected an op amp(for current amplification) to a resistor(to convert the amplified current into voltage)and grounded it and a friend suggested using TL071 op amp.but i don't know much about op amps.
what i want to know is for a certain input current and for a certain op amp how can i calculate the output current?
please help me out

Welcome to the PF.

Amplifying picoAmp signals is very non-trivial, unless you can assume an ideal opamp (with no input bias current and no input offset currents or voltages). If you want to use a real opamp, you will need to find one with very little input bias current. Have a look at the TL071 opamp's spec for input bias current and input offset current and voltage, and see if you can find a better candidate.

Still, even with a very good opamp, it is very hard to amplify currents in the picoamps. Leakage currents alone on the PCB will be on that same order, unless you do some special things to the PCB (both in layout and in coatings). And there is also the issue of bandwidth -- what is the bandwidth of the input current?

Can you say more about the problem statement? Can you assume an ideal opamp? If so, look up "current to voltage converter opamp" with Google Images (leave out the quotes) to see the typical circuit that is used. I'd also recommend using several stages of gain -- it is not practical to go from picoAmps to Volts in a single gain stage. After the first current-to-voltage converter stage, the subsequent gain stages can just be voltage amplifiers.

Last edited:

d.sonali20 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(to connect to an adc)

please help me out

You didn't provide us with a schematic or a sketch so it's not very clear what you're talking about, is this essentially what you have?

attachment.php?attachmentid=36108&d=1307036584.jpg

If so, it's going to take an impractically large resistance value to convert a mere few pico amps to suitable range of say 1-5V.

Attachments

• CurrentToVoltageOpAmp.jpg
    CurrentToVoltageOpAmp.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,086

@jegues
its pretty much the same...but the output is not grounded

Attachments

• ROCKETRY CKT.gif
    ROCKETRY CKT.gif
    525 bytes · Views: 564

@berkeman
multiple gain stages is a good idea..
can you suggest a circuit?
and is there no way to find the exact current gain given by an op amp??

Last edited by a moderator:

d.sonali20 said:
@jegues
its pretty much the same...but the output is not grounded

His sketch does not ground the output of the opamp. It represents an opamp output voltage that is referenced to ground (like the load resistance is between the opamp output and ground). That is standard notation.

d.sonali20 said:
@berkeman
multiple gain stages is a good idea..
can you suggest a circuit?
and is there no way to find the exact current gain given by an op amp??

jegues showed you the first gain stage already -- that is what you would have seen if you would have used my Google Images suggestion.

And you have not answered any of my questions from my initial reply. Your circuit will never work unless you address my initial questions.

SORRY for this late reply...
@berkeman
oops!that was what i wanted to say...what a blunder!

and about your initial questions...the op amp cannot be assumed to be ideal because i have to build this circuit.
and about the bandwidth of input current...
i searched for it but couldn't find it...i didn't know till you told me that current can have a bandwidth.can you please explain how current, which is nothing but a stream of electrons,can have a bandwidth?

1. What is the definition of current gain for an op amp?

The current gain of an op amp is a measure of the amplification of the input current by the op amp. It is the ratio of the output current to the input current, and is typically expressed in units of amperes per ampere (A/A) or decibels (dB).

2. How is the current gain of an op amp calculated?

The current gain of an op amp can be calculated using the formula: A = ΔIout / ΔIin, where A is the current gain, ΔIout is the change in output current, and ΔIin is the change in input current.

3. What factors affect the current gain of an op amp?

The current gain of an op amp is affected by several factors including the internal circuitry of the op amp, the input and output resistances, and the frequency of the input signal. Additionally, the gain may also be affected by external components connected to the op amp, such as feedback resistors.

4. Why is the current gain of an op amp important?

The current gain of an op amp is important because it determines the amplification of the input current and therefore affects the overall performance of the op amp. It is a key parameter in designing and understanding the behavior of op amp circuits.

5. How can the current gain of an op amp be optimized?

The current gain of an op amp can be optimized by carefully selecting the external components connected to the op amp, such as feedback resistors, and by considering the desired input and output impedances. Additionally, using op amps with higher current gain values can also help to optimize performance.