Question on problem solving and Newton's 3rd law

In summary, the conversation discusses the methods for solving problems involving two interacting objects, such as a block on another one. The question arises of when to use equations and draw free body diagrams for each object individually or as a single system. The teacher solved a specific problem as a single system, but the conversation also mentions the use of free body diagrams for better understanding. Other problems with friction are also brought up, with the question of whether to model them as a single system or draw diagrams for each block. The conversation also touches on the challenges of intuitive understanding and the benefits of taking a break to think about the problem. The conversation ends with a discussion of different physics textbooks and their approaches to teaching.
FancyNut
When there are two objects interacting, like a block on another one, when do you write your equations/draw free body diagram for both objects as a single system? And when should you write eq/draw diagrams for each block separately?

For example there was a question where there was an inclined block with another square on top of it... there was a force on the inclined block and the Q wanted me to find out the force needed to keep the top block from sliding... all surfaces are frictionless...

The teacher solved it as a single system (though I still don't know how it doesn't slide even though there's either a normal force or weight component adding to the force... =\ ).. There are other problems, like a block on another block but with friction between them and the bottom block and floor. Do I also model those as single system or write free body diagrams for each block? And what if the force was pulling on both from the top block? or pulling both but from the bottom block? Does it make a difference?

I know if both blocks have the same acceleration, it helps to think of everything as a single system but I can't apply it to other problems...

Much thanks in advance for any help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
hey, i also study mechanics in college. from experience, do free body diagrams everytime you have a question on static systems. it really helps and makes it easier to understand the question. in addition, the way your teacher solved the problems is an alternative way to get the answer of the problem. however, it's neither recommended nor useful.

Yeah, I found back when I was doing the exact same problems you're working on (I suspect - Giancoli?) that it was hard to solve the problems without involving artificial forces and whatnot else if I did a single system diagram. Free body diagrams worked out better; they're also easier not to make a mess out of.

You might want to go out for a walk at some point and just think about what's going on, though. I always find that rewarding, even if it takes me hours to figure out what's going on in a straightforward mechanics problem.

By the way, there's a lot of insight to be gained from this very sliding block problem if you just take your time thinking about it. There are things going on there on the small scale that make it all work that are worth a lot of attention.

Duarh: our text is by Randal Knight-- my school dropped Giancoli thank god. :)

Anyway yeah I know there are several ways to solving a problem... what gets to me is that, in that problem with the small box on an inclined bigger box, there is NO FRICTION... and all the forces like normal (or weight x-comp depending on x-y coordinates you choose) AND the forces on the inclined box are to the right.. there is nothing keeping the box still on the incline.

The only way I can imagine this is if you push the bottom inclined box really hard and the air resistance keeps the smaller box on the same position relative to the bottom inclined box... but there is also no air resistence in the problem. :redface:

This is a tricky one to get intuitive about, yes. What's holding the small box up is the contact force from the big block - by pusing the big block to the right, you're also exerting a force on the smaller block (which is conveyed through the perpendicular normal force). Maybe thinking about it this way helps: the only way the big block can exert a force on the small block is through the normal force (which is just saying the force is perpendicular to the inclined surface) - so, the harder you push on the big block, the more of a normal force will be exerted on the small block. Now you want to calculate a normal force such that its vertical component would effectively cancel out the force of gravity. This leaves you with a substantial horizontal component of the normal force that's uncompensated for. That's okay, though: whenever you push on an object in the horizontal direction and keep pushing, you accelerate with the same acceleration (since you're sticking together) - so this horizontal component of the acceleration is just the acceleration experienced by the big block in order to supply the necessary normal force. Mathematically, you can calculate the net force on the big block in the horizontal direction (pushing force minus horizontal component of -normal force, by Newton's third law), set it equal to m*a, where a is the acceleration on the small block due to the horizontal component of the normal force, and solve for the pushing force.

This is probably a bit confusing; I know I always am a bit confused myself when I come back to the problem after a long while; it's well worth thinking about, though.

Edit: ah, why don't you like Giancoli, btw? I think it's a very good introductory text, even if it doesn't go too deep.

That was a very good explanation!

As for Giancoli, I've only seen a bit of it and you're right it doesn’t look that bad but when you compare it to Knight's text it just doesn't hold up. Giancoli goes into math immediately after each topic is introduced but Knight spends a LOT of time trying to make you understand the concepts, and explaining the physics of each problem. I also like the emphasis on problem solving-- it really helps a lot.

Another great thing about Knight's text is www.masteringphysics.com which is where the Homework is posted. Now it's not exactly a good thing to spend hours on one problem getting "try again" replies and since there is no professor corrrecting, you don’t know what you're doing wrong, but overall it's a better learning experience then solving homework from end-of-chapter problems.

My only complaint is that the solutions for the study guide are only with the professor. =\ He doesn’t assign any HW for the study guide and now it’s useless since there is no way for me to get the solutions (I checked their site—you have to be a professor).

1. What is Newton's 3rd law of motion?

Newton's 3rd law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will also exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

2. How does Newton's 3rd law relate to problem solving?

Newton's 3rd law is often used in problem solving to determine the forces acting on an object and how they will affect its motion. By understanding the equal and opposite nature of forces, scientists and engineers can predict the outcome of a particular situation and design solutions accordingly.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's 3rd law in action?

One example of Newton's 3rd law is when you push a book across a table. The force you apply to the book will cause it to move, but at the same time, the book exerts an equal and opposite force on your hand, making it feel like the book is pushing back against your hand.

4. Are there any exceptions to Newton's 3rd law?

While Newton's 3rd law generally holds true, there are some situations where it may not apply. For example, when an object is in free fall, the force of gravity on the object is greater than any force it exerts on the Earth. In this case, the forces are not equal and opposite.

5. How is Newton's 3rd law important in understanding the world around us?

Newton's 3rd law helps us understand the interactions between objects and how forces affect their motion. This is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics, where understanding how forces act on objects is essential for designing and building structures and machines that function properly.