Proof of Homomorphism Property: Field Condition Implies 1-1 or Zero Mapping

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, a homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a mathematical system by mapping elements from one system to another while maintaining operations and relations. To prove a homomorphism, it must be shown that the function follows the properties of the operations and relations. Checking a homomorphism proof is important to confirm the correct mapping of elements and preservation of structure, and avoid common mistakes such as incorrect use of operations and failure to show preservation of relations. Tips for writing a successful proof include clearly defining operations and relations, showing all steps, using proper notation, and double-checking assumptions and calculations.
Bachelier
The question is:
Let g: R --> T be a homomorphism. If R is a Field, show that g is either 1-1 or the zero mapping

So I used a direct proof with cases.
Assume g(a) = g(b)
since the image (g) is a subring, it is closed under subtraction, then g(a) - g(b)= 0 [itex]\in[/itex] img (g)

now g(a)-g(b) = g(a-b) = 0

i) if a [itex]\neq[/itex] b, then g the zero mapping
ii) if a = b, then g is one to one.

what do you think?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bachelier said:
The question is:
Let g: R --> T be a homomorphism. If R is a Field, show that g is either 1-1 or the zero mapping

So I used a direct proof with cases.
Assume g(a) = g(b)
since the image (g) is a subring, it is closed under subtraction, then g(a) - g(b)= 0 [itex]\in[/itex] img (g)

what do you think?

thanks

I would be very suspicious with your proof. Why?? You didn't use anywhere that R is a field!

Where you went wrong is in (i) and (ii). I just don't know what you did there.

you can't say that because g(a) = g(b), but that a ≠ b, implies g is the 0-map.

for example: g:Z--->Z/(n) given by g(k) = k (mod n) has the property that

g(n) = g(2n), but g is NOT the 0-morphism.

all you have shown is that g is injective, or it's not. which isn't saying much, and requires no proof in the first place.

you should be thinking about the ideal ker(g).

From the mathematical properties of the assumptions you should prove the properties of the theorem or conclusion. That also implies that with little knowledge of the specific mathematical domain, your proof should have been readable to me. Which it isn't.

Write down the assumptions and write down the goal and make the road from assumptions to conclusion as clear as possible.

Bachelier said:
Assume g(a) = g(b)

So a and b are only two points of the field. If g(a) = g(b) then the only way this implies that g is zero is if the field has only 2 elements in it.

if g(a) = g(b) then g(a) - g(b)= 0. It has nothing to do with subrings.

Just because g(a-b) = 0 doesn't mean that g can not be non zero on some other field element.

Thank you folks.

How about this.

Assume that g is not 1-1 and not the zero mapping.
Then ∃ a ∈ R s.t. g(a) = 0 and a ≠ 0

Since R is a field, a.a[itex]^{-1}[/itex] = 1

So now: g (1) = g(a.a[itex]^{-1}[/itex]) = g(a). g(a[itex]^{-1}[/itex]) = 0 (since g is an homomorphism)

Then ∀ b ∈ R, g(b) = g(1.b) = g(1).g(b) = 0

Hence g is the zero mapping. [itex]\otimes[/itex]

Hence g is the zero mapping.

Does this prove it is 1-1 as well?

Bachelier said:
Thank you folks.

How about this.

Assume that [STRIKE]g is not 1-1 and not the zero mapping

Then[/STRIKE]
(you don't need this part) ∃ a ∈ R s.t. g(a) = 0 and a ≠ 0

So now: g (1) = g(a.a[itex]^{-1}[/itex]) = g(a). g(a[itex]^{-1}[/itex]) = 0 (since g is an homomorphism)

i believe it does, but you should add:

otherwise, there is no such a, so ker(g) = {0}, and g is 1-1.

Deveno said:
i believe it does, but you should add:

otherwise, there is no such a, so ker(g) = {0}, and g is 1-1.

Thank you.

Bachelier said:
Thank you folks.

How about this.

Assume that g is not 1-1 and not the zero mapping.
Then ∃ a ∈ R s.t. g(a) = 0 and a ≠ 0

Hence g is the zero mapping.

Does this prove it is 1-1 as well?

more simply, 0 = g(b) = b.g(1) so g(1) = 0 since we can divide by b.

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a mathematical system. It maps elements from one mathematical system to another while preserving the operations and relations between the elements.

2. How do you prove a homomorphism?

In order to prove a homomorphism, you must show that the function preserves the operations and relations between the elements of the two mathematical systems. This can be done by showing that the function follows the properties of the operations and relations.

3. What is the purpose of checking a homomorphism proof?

Checking a homomorphism proof is important because it ensures that the function is correctly mapping elements from one mathematical system to another. It also confirms that the function preserves the structure of the mathematical system, which is essential for solving mathematical problems.

4. What are some common mistakes in homomorphism proofs?

Some common mistakes in homomorphism proofs include incorrect use of operations, incorrect mapping of elements, and failure to show the preservation of relations between the elements. It is important to carefully check all steps and assumptions in the proof to avoid these errors.

5. Are there any tips for writing a successful homomorphism proof?

Some tips for writing a successful homomorphism proof include clearly defining the operations and relations in both mathematical systems, showing all steps of the proof, and using proper notation. It is also helpful to double-check all assumptions and calculations to ensure accuracy.