Path to be an Earth Science teacher

In summary, the conversation revolves around a weather forecaster who wishes to become an Earth Science teacher for grades 7-12. The individual currently lives in Tucson, AZ and can only do distance learning. They are seeking guidance on where to start their education path. It is mentioned that each state has different requirements for teacher certification and it is suggested to contact multiple schools for more information. It is also noted that there are limited distance learning options for teacher certification and that observation and student-teaching are typically required. The individual is advised to research their state's board of education and look into substitute teaching requirements. It is also mentioned that military experience may be looked upon favorably in the teacher education and employment process.
Wx_Woman
I'm currently a weather forecaster for the US Air Force with my Community College of The Air Force Degree (equal to an associates) in Weather Technology. I would like to use my current knowledge to become an Earth Science teacher for grades 7-12. I currently live in Tucson, AZ and right now can only do distance learning. Can someone help me as to where I should start as far as an education path? I don't have a university in mind just yet. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A lot would depend upon the state in which you ultimately want to teach as well as the school you plan to attend. For example, in Ohio, you would need to take a certain number of Earth science classes for Ohio State's Masters in Education program, the only program they have that leads to a teaching license. In other Ohio schools, you can do it with a B.S. in the discipline. Other states would have different requirements. I would suggest contacting the education department of several of the schools you might want to attend for more information.

I don't think there are many (if any) "distance learning" paths to teacher certification/licensure. Why? Typically part of the teacher-education process (such as a Masters of Education in Classroom Teaching) requires time spent in the classroom under the supervision of an experienced teacher... in the form of observation and student-teaching.

In some areas of extreme-need, there are alternative routes where one can be working on an education degree while co-teaching in a "pod" with teacher who are experienced (but it would probably require a completed BS degree in some field -- which is often a state requirement for substitute teachers).

Since licensure/certification is state-based (in order to qualify for national certification tests you must have already been a practicing teacher for a number of years), you need to probably look at the requirements from your state board of education and also contact the Schools/Departments of Education at colleges and universities in your state. http://www.azed.gov/state-board-education/" Also look into your state's requirement for substitute teachers, since alternative processes (such as co-teaching while working on the education certification) also often will look for you to at least get a substitute teaching license.

Note: I also admire you for your service in the Air Force... I used to be associated with AFRL/WPAFB -- although only in a civilian capacity. In my experience, former military were often looked upon favorably in teacher education and employment processes.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What education is required to become an Earth Science teacher?

To become an Earth Science teacher, you will need a bachelor's degree in Earth Science or a related field, as well as a teaching certification or license from your state. Some schools may also require a master's degree in education or a specific subject area.

2. What skills are important for an Earth Science teacher to have?

An Earth Science teacher should have a strong background in Earth Science and a passion for teaching. They should also have excellent communication and organizational skills, as well as the ability to engage and inspire students. Additionally, knowledge of technology and the ability to adapt to different teaching methods are important skills for an Earth Science teacher.

3. What types of courses do Earth Science teachers teach?

Earth Science teachers typically teach courses in geology, meteorology, oceanography, and environmental science. They may also teach other related subjects such as astronomy, climatology, or ecology.

4. How can I gain practical experience as an Earth Science teacher?

To gain practical experience as an Earth Science teacher, you can participate in internships or student teaching programs during your education. You can also volunteer or work as a teaching assistant in a science classroom. Additionally, attending workshops and conferences related to Earth Science education can help you gain valuable experience and knowledge.

5. What are the career prospects for Earth Science teachers?

The career prospects for Earth Science teachers are generally positive. With a growing focus on environmental issues and the importance of STEM education, the demand for Earth Science teachers is expected to increase. Additionally, as many current teachers near retirement age, there will be opportunities for new teachers to enter the field. However, job prospects may vary depending on location and the availability of teaching positions in a specific area.