Stress due to radial temperature gradient in a tube

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of temperature gradient in a thick-walled tube to calculate stress throughout the wall. If the tube is not allowed to expand, the stress is maximum and can be calculated using thermal strain and Hooke's law. However, if the tube is free to expand, temperature gradients can cause both hoop and radial stress. The Roark's Formulas for Stress & Strain provide formulas for determining maximum stress on the surfaces of a hollow cylinder with different temperatures on the inner and outer surface.
StoneME
Anyone know how to use the temperature gradient in a thick-walled tube to calculate the stress seen throughout the wall (radial stress gradient)? I've been scouring the internet for a good explanation but haven't found one.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The stress will depend on if the tube is allowed to expand or if it can't move when it gets hot.

If it is not allowed to expand, the stress is maximum and is determined as follows:

ΔR = [itex]\alpha[/itex] Ro [itex]\Delta T[/itex]

The thermal strain is now:

[itex]\epsilon[/itex] = ΔR / Ro = [itex]\alpha[/itex] [itex]\Delta T[/itex]

And the stress is figured with Hooke's law:

σ = E [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

First, I should be more clear. The tube is not being constrained and is free to expand.

Second, I appreciate the response but I think I'm looking for a little more depth. What I'm looking for is a description of stress as a function of radial position given the temperature as a function of radial position. Temperature gradients will cause the hot wall (inner or outer) to expand more than the cold wall, giving rise to hoop stress as well as radial stress.

Roark's Formulas for Stress & Strain, Chapter 16, Section 16.6, Case 16 has formulas for max stress on the surfaces of a hollow cylinder with two different temperatures on the inner and outer surface. They look pretty easy. You may be able to extend this to determine σ(r).

What is the cause of stress due to radial temperature gradient in a tube?

The stress due to radial temperature gradient in a tube is caused by the unequal expansion and contraction of the tube material due to temperature variations. This creates internal forces within the tube that can lead to stress and deformation.

How does the temperature gradient affect the stress in a tube?

The temperature gradient in a tube causes the material to expand or contract unevenly, resulting in internal stresses that can lead to deformation or failure of the tube. This stress is directly proportional to the temperature difference across the tube and the material's coefficient of thermal expansion.

What factors can influence the stress due to radial temperature gradient in a tube?

The stress due to radial temperature gradient in a tube can be influenced by several factors, such as the material's thermal properties, the tube's geometry, and the magnitude of the temperature gradient. Other factors, such as external forces or constraints, can also affect the stress in a tube.

How can stress due to radial temperature gradient be reduced in a tube?

To reduce stress due to radial temperature gradient in a tube, the temperature difference across the tube can be minimized by controlling the heating/cooling rate or using insulating materials. Choosing a material with a lower coefficient of thermal expansion or adjusting the tube's geometry can also help reduce stress.

What are the potential consequences of stress due to radial temperature gradient in a tube?

If not properly managed, stress due to radial temperature gradient in a tube can lead to deformation, buckling, or failure of the tube. This can result in equipment malfunction, production delays, and safety hazards. It is important to consider and address this stress in the design and operation of tubes to prevent these consequences.