CMOS inverter circuit, spike in simulation

In summary, the individual is simulating a CMOS inverter circuit and has noticed a spike in the output when adding a pulse source at the input. They are seeking help to understand the cause of this spike and want to include this information in a report. It was determined that the spike is due to capacitive coupling of the input to the output and is a result of the initial spike taking time to travel from the input to the output.
SMOF
Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me a little bit of help.

I have been simulating a CMOS inverter circuit. When I add in a pulse source at the input, and simulate it, I get an output which has a bit of a spikle on the transition.

I am hoping someone can help my understand why this is here? I have attached a picture of the simulated output.

Now, when I had in a capacitor at the load, the spike is far less pronounced, but I am sure that is just because of the smoothing effects of the cap.

Also, I want to put this information into a report, so I would actullay like to understand what is going on, rather than just been told it is because of x thing.

I hope that doesn;t sound rude of me, I really don't mean to be.

Many thanks in advance.

Seán

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
For an input that rises from 0 to 1, the output momentarily rises higher than the supply rail, before dropping to 0? Sounds like capacitive coupling of some of the input to the output; beyond that I can't say. Do you see a similar negative spike during the reverse transition?

Does that output spike appear to be limited at one diode drop above the supply rail?

NascentOxygen said:
Sounds like capacitive coupling of some of the input to the output

Hello.

Yes, that was it. I was able to get speaking to one of my lecturers, and he said that, basically, due to capacitive effects and what have you, an initial 'spike' at the input will take time to fully travel from the input to the output, so this causes the bit of distortion.

Seán

1. What is a CMOS inverter circuit?

A CMOS inverter circuit is a type of logic gate that is used to convert a digital input signal into a digital output signal. It consists of two complementary MOSFETs (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors) connected in series, with the output taken from the common connection point.

2. How does a CMOS inverter circuit work?

A CMOS inverter circuit works by using the two complementary MOSFETs to switch between a high and low output voltage. When the input is low, the PMOSFET is turned on, allowing current to flow from the power supply to the output. When the input is high, the NMOSFET is turned on, allowing current to flow from the output to ground. This results in a logic inversion of the input signal at the output.

3. What is a "spike" in simulation for a CMOS inverter circuit?

A "spike" in simulation refers to a sudden, short-lived increase in voltage or current within the circuit. In the case of a CMOS inverter circuit, spikes can occur due to parasitic capacitances and inductances in the circuit, which can cause unexpected behavior and affect the accuracy of the simulation results.

4. How can spikes in simulation for a CMOS inverter circuit be minimized?

Spikes in simulation for a CMOS inverter circuit can be minimized by carefully designing the circuit layout and minimizing the parasitic capacitances and inductances. This can be achieved by using proper grounding techniques, reducing the size of the circuit, and using decoupling capacitors.

5. What are the applications of a CMOS inverter circuit?

A CMOS inverter circuit has a wide range of applications in digital logic circuits, such as in microprocessors, memory devices, and other digital systems. It is also commonly used in power management circuits, voltage regulators, and other analog circuits due to its low power consumption and high noise immunity.