Approximating definite integrals using series.

In summary, to approximate definite integrals to within a specific accuracy, one could substitute the "x^3" factor instead of "x" in the Taylor expansion of sin x and integrate each term of the series from 0 to 1. The integrals should be evaluated with a maximum of 4 decimals, and the process should be stopped once the numbers added are less than 0.001.
Wee Sleeket
I was wondering how to approximate definite integrals to within a specific accuracy. For example, how would I go about approximating the integral from 0 to 1 of sin(x^3) dx to within an accuracy of 0.001? I think I'm supposed to use the remainder estimate for the integral test, but I'm confused because that seems to apply to indefinite integrals. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Wee Sleeket said:
I was wondering how to approximate definite integrals to within a specific accuracy. For example, how would I go about approximating the integral from 0 to 1 of sin(x^3) dx to within an accuracy of 0.001? I think I'm supposed to use the remainder estimate for the integral test, but I'm confused because that seems to apply to indefinite integrals. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Substitute the "x^3" factor instead of "x" in the Taylor expansion of sin x.Then integrate each term of the series from 0 to 1.Evaluate each integral with maximum 4 decimals.You'll stop evaluating the integrals,once the numbers added are less than 0.001.

Daniel.

To approximate definite integrals using series, you can use a technique called the "trapezoidal rule." This method involves dividing the interval of integration into smaller subintervals and using the sum of the areas of trapezoids to approximate the area under the curve. The more subintervals you use, the more accurate your approximation will be.

To apply this method to your specific example, you can divide the interval from 0 to 1 into smaller subintervals (such as 0 to 0.25, 0.25 to 0.5, 0.5 to 0.75, and 0.75 to 1) and use the trapezoidal rule to approximate the integral on each subinterval. Then, you can add up these approximations to get an overall approximation for the integral from 0 to 1.

To determine the accuracy of your approximation, you can use the remainder estimate for the integral test. This estimate tells you how close your approximation is to the actual value of the integral. If the remainder estimate is less than 0.001, then your approximation is within the desired accuracy.

Keep in mind that the remainder estimate for the integral test applies to both indefinite and definite integrals. In this case, you are using it to determine the accuracy of your approximation for the definite integral.

In summary, to approximate definite integrals using series, you can use the trapezoidal rule and the remainder estimate for the integral test. By dividing the interval of integration into smaller subintervals, you can improve the accuracy of your approximation. And by using the remainder estimate, you can determine if your approximation is within the desired accuracy.

1. What is the purpose of approximating definite integrals using series?

The purpose of approximating definite integrals using series is to find an approximate value for a definite integral that cannot be solved using traditional methods. This is especially useful when the integrand is a complicated or non-elementary function.

2. How do you approximate a definite integral using series?

To approximate a definite integral using series, the integral is first rewritten as an infinite series using Taylor or Maclaurin series. The series is then truncated at a certain term and the resulting polynomial is integrated. This yields an approximate value for the definite integral.

3. What are the benefits of using series to approximate integrals?

Using series to approximate integrals allows for a more accurate value to be obtained compared to other numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal or Simpson's rule. It also allows for the approximation of integrals that cannot be solved using other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using series to approximate integrals?

One limitation is that the series may not converge or converge slowly, leading to a less accurate approximation. Another limitation is that the series may become too complex to be integrated, especially if higher order terms are included.

5. How can the accuracy of the approximation be improved?

The accuracy of the approximation can be improved by increasing the number of terms in the series used for the approximation. Additionally, using a more precise numerical method for integrating the resulting polynomial can also improve the accuracy.