How light from a dead star reaches Earth?

In summary, if you are on earth and you throw a bucket of baseballs at someone on the moon, the baseballs will take time to travel there and back, since they are traveling through space. When you turn off a laser, the photons that are already emitted continue on their way.
darrell
This seems to strike people I've talked to as a ridiculously simple question but no one can give me a simple answer. I thought this might be the place to get my explanation. I don't see how light can continue to travel millions of years through space after the star has died and it has no energy source. One fellow tried to compare it to water coming through pipes which is not a good comparison for when you turn the pump off there is no energy source to push the water. Starlight does not create a self sustaining energy as it travels, when you turn a laser off the beam does not continue onward, same with a flash light. So what am I missing here that explains how one light with no energy can travel for a million years but when I hit the button on my Maglite the beam ceases to be? Thanks in advance for answers, please be specific and explain in laymans terms.

Science news on Phys.org
darrell said:
Starlight does not create a self sustaining energy as it travels, when you turn a laser off the beam does not continue onward, same with a flash light.
Sure the beam continues onward!
So what am I missing here that explains how one light with no energy can travel for a million years but when I hit the button on my Maglite the beam ceases to be?
It only seems to 'cease to be' because the time it takes for your Maglite beam to cross the room and be absorbed is tiny. It looks like the whole beam just disappears.

Imagine a star continually sending out pulses of light. Those light pulses, once they leave the star, are on their own. They keep going until they are absorbed. No additional energy is needed to keep them going. When the star dies, no new light is emitted, but the light already emitted continues on its way.

Similarly, if you shine your Maglite to the sky the beam continues outward. When you shut off the flashlight, no new light is emitted, but the light that was already sent keeps going.

When you turn a laser off the light that has already been emitted certainly does continue onward; photons that have been emitted by a star will move independently of whatever the star does afterwards, they don't know and they don't care. You do not need to constantly supply a photon with more energy in order to keep it moving and even if you did the star couldn't do that because the photons move at the maximum speed energy can travel.

Edit: Oops, beaten to it

Hypothetically, if I were able to sit in space and throw a bucket of baseballs. One after another, maybe 500 of them. If I also knew you were on the moon, I could throw these balls to you at a certain frequency, you could catch them and report back to me the frequency with which you received the balls. Because I cannot throw that fast, the balls would take time to travel, time in which I could be doing unrelated activities back on earth.

Please do not confuse photons with baseballs, as they behave very differently.. But this analogy should suffice for a 'simple' answer.

This is a great question and it's understandable why it may be confusing. The key to understanding how light from a dead star can reach Earth is to remember that light is a form of energy and it travels at a fixed speed, known as the speed of light. This means that once light is emitted from a source, it will continue to travel through space until it reaches something that can absorb or reflect it.

In the case of a dead star, the light that we see on Earth was emitted from the star millions of years ago. This light has been traveling through space at the speed of light, which is incredibly fast, and it has finally reached Earth. The fact that the star is no longer emitting light does not affect the light that has already been emitted and is on its way to Earth.

Think of it like a light bulb. When you turn on a light bulb, it emits light in all directions. Even if you turn off the light bulb, the light that has already been emitted will continue to travel until it reaches something that can absorb or reflect it. The same principle applies to a dead star – the light that was emitted before the star died will continue to travel until it reaches Earth.

It's also important to note that the universe is vast and mostly empty. This means that there is very little to slow down or absorb the light as it travels through space. This allows the light from a dead star to continue on its journey for millions of years without any significant loss of energy.

So, in summary, the light from a dead star reaches Earth because it was emitted millions of years ago and has been traveling through space at the speed of light. The fact that the star is no longer emitting light does not affect the light that has already been emitted and is on its way to Earth. I hope this helps to clarify things for you!

1. How does light from a dead star travel such a vast distance to reach Earth?

The light from a dead star, also known as a supernova, travels at the speed of light which is approximately 186,282 miles per second. This means that over time, the light can travel an incredibly long distance, even from the farthest reaches of the universe, to reach Earth.

2. How long does it take for the light from a dead star to reach Earth?

The time it takes for light from a dead star to reach Earth depends on the distance between the star and Earth. For example, if the star is 1,000 light years away, it would take 1,000 years for its light to reach our planet. This is because light travels at a constant speed and cannot travel faster or slower depending on the distance.

3. How is the light from a dead star able to be seen by telescopes on Earth?

The light from a dead star is able to be seen by telescopes on Earth because it is extremely bright and emits a large amount of energy. This allows the light to travel through space and reach Earth, where it can be detected by telescopes and other instruments.

4. Why is the light from a dead star important for scientists to observe?

The light from a dead star can provide valuable information for scientists about the life and death of stars, as well as the processes and events that occur in the universe. By studying the light from a dead star, scientists can learn about the composition, temperature, and other properties of the star, as well as its impact on its surrounding environment.

5. Can the light from a dead star be seen with the naked eye?

In some cases, the light from a dead star can be seen with the naked eye, depending on the brightness of the star and its distance from Earth. However, in most cases, the light is not visible to the naked eye and can only be observed with the help of telescopes and other instruments.