Bowling ball rolling, going up a ramp, and continues rolling.

In summary, a 2.2kg bowling ball is rolling at 3.2m/s along a track until it reaches a 55° ramp. The ball then rolls up the ramp and reaches a speed of 0.3m/s before leveling out again. With the assumption of no friction, the acceleration down the ramp is -8.2 m/s^2. Using the equation v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad and the correct value for acceleration, the length of the ramp can be calculated. The displacement (d) in this equation only applies to the distance where there is an acceleration.
testme

Homework Statement

A bowling ball of mass 2.2kg is rolling along a track at 3.2m/s when it reaches a ramp angled at 55°, The ball rolls up the ramp to the top where the track levels out again, and the ball rolls at 0.3 m/s. How long is the ramp?

mass = 2.2kg
v1 = 3.2 m/s
v2 = 0.3 m/s
angle of the ramp = 55°
Not sure about the friction so I'm going to assume it's frictionless.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Well from what we know I was able to find the acceleration going down the ramp was -8.2 m/s^2.

I found this out because the only force acting on the ball while the ball was going up the ramp was the force fog ravity and I used the following equation.

Fnet = ma
Fx = ma
-18 = 2.2a
a = -8.2

This is assming there is no friction and choosing up the ramp to be positive.

I know I don't have much done but I'm lost as to what to do now. I was wondering if I could use the equation:

v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

I don't know if that would work since that would give us the displacement from the very beginning to the very end and not only the length of the ramp.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct equation at hand with v2^2 = v1^2 + 2*a*d. You do not have the correct value for acceleration. Frictionless assumption is correct.

Draw a free body diagram of the ball on the slope to assist in determining acceleration. Hint: Use trigonometry.

LawrenceC said:
You have the correct equation at hand with v2^2 = v1^2 + 2*a*d. You do not have the correct value for acceleration. Frictionless assumption is correct.

Draw a free body diagram of the ball on the slope to assist in determining acceleration. Hint: Use trigonometry.
I'm not able to find my mistake, wouldn't this be the free body diagram?

I know this is a poor diagram since I did it on paint but am I missing something here

http://sadpanda.us/images/840435-L0XGODW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I see that you are using 10 m/sec^2 for g. I used 9.81. So with your value of g, you have the correct acceleration.

Now look at the equation you wrote: v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

You have v2, you have v1, you have a. You seek d. So...

The only thing I'm not sure about is wouldn't the displacement be from where it started rolling to where it ended rolling? So it's not necessarily the length of the ramp.

The ball has no acceleration on the flat surfaces so there is no change in velocity on those surfaces. The equation

v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

only applies to the distance (d) where there is an acceleration. It represents the change in velocity only over that distance (d) where (a) applies and (a) is constant.

Ahh, I see, okay, thank you very much ^^

1. How does the weight of a bowling ball affect its rolling up a ramp?

The weight of the bowling ball affects its rolling up a ramp because a heavier ball has more momentum and will require more force to move up the ramp. This means that a heavier bowling ball will have a harder time rolling up a ramp compared to a lighter bowling ball.

2. What type of energy is involved in a bowling ball rolling up a ramp?

The type of energy involved in a bowling ball rolling up a ramp is kinetic energy. As the ball moves up the ramp, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. This is because the ball is gaining speed and moving against the force of gravity.

3. Does the angle of the ramp affect the speed of the bowling ball?

Yes, the angle of the ramp does affect the speed of the bowling ball. The steeper the ramp, the more potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a faster rolling speed. Conversely, a shallower ramp will result in a slower rolling speed.

4. What happens to the bowling ball's energy as it rolls up a ramp?

As the bowling ball rolls up a ramp, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. This is because the ball is moving against the force of gravity and gaining speed. This energy conversion is known as the principle of conservation of energy.

5. Can a bowling ball continue rolling after reaching the top of a ramp?

Yes, a bowling ball can continue rolling after reaching the top of a ramp if there is enough momentum. However, the ball will eventually come to a stop due to friction and other external forces acting upon it. The speed and distance the ball can travel after reaching the top of the ramp will depend on its initial energy and any external factors.