Why Does My Power Calculation Yield Half the Expected Result?

In summary, The conversation discusses how to calculate the average power required to achieve a specific acceleration for a car. The correct answer is determined to be 20.21 KW, calculated using the formula P=WD/T. The formula s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at2 is also mentioned as a correction, and it is noted that there are two unknowns for V and a, which can be found using the formula F=ma.
MMCS
Can anyone see where i have went wrong? I keep getting the same wrong answer.

A 1100 kg car accelerates from rest reaching a distance of 110 m in 8.7 seconds, determine the average power in KW required to achieve this acceleration (your answer should be to 2 decimal places).

ANS = 40.43
MY ANS = 20.21

Working out

V = d/t
V= 110/8.7 = 12.64

Acc = (12.64 - 0) / 8.7 = 1.45

Force = ma
Force = 1100 x 1.45 = 1598.63

Work done = force x distance
Work done = 1598.63 x 110 = 175848

Power = WD/T
Power = 175848/8.7 = 20.21KW

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
MMCS said:
V = d/t
V= 110/8.7 = 12.64

The velocity is not constant here,
you should use s = ut + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2 instead

Thanks for your reply.
How do i use this formula if i have two unknowns for V and a

MMCS said:
Thanks for your reply.
How do i use this formula if i have two unknowns for V and a

You just have to find a and carry on with F=ma

P.S. I gave you the wrong formula just now :P

Got it, thanks mate

1. What is simple power calculation?

Simple power calculation is a method used to determine the amount of power needed to detect a significant difference between two or more groups in a study. It is commonly used in scientific research to determine the appropriate sample size for a study.

2. How do you perform a simple power calculation?

To perform a simple power calculation, you need to know the desired level of significance (usually set at 5%), the desired power (usually set at 80%), the expected effect size, and the number of groups being compared. These values can then be input into a power calculation software or formula to determine the required sample size.

3. Why is power calculation important in research?

Power calculation is important in research because it helps to ensure that a study is appropriately designed to detect a significant difference between groups. It can also help researchers determine if they have enough participants to draw reliable conclusions from their study.

4. What factors can affect the results of a simple power calculation?

The results of a simple power calculation can be affected by several factors, including the desired level of significance, the desired power, the expected effect size, and the number of groups being compared. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can also be affected by the assumptions made in the calculation, such as the normality of the data and the homogeneity of variances.

5. Can simple power calculation be used for any type of study?

Simple power calculation can be used for most types of studies, including experiments, clinical trials, and observational studies. However, it may not be suitable for all types of research, such as qualitative studies or studies with complex designs. In these cases, other methods of power calculation may be more appropriate.