Determine Value of Trig Functions

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the values of trigonometric functions at a specific point in the third quadrant and how to identify the quadrant a point is in. It was determined that the point (-3,-4) is in the third quadrant based on the coordinates being negative. To find the values of the trigonometric functions, one can use the opposite/hypotenuse and adjacent/hypotenuse ratios. A diagram was also provided as a helpful tool in understanding the relationship between the quadrants and the signs of trigonometric functions.
aisha
My question is to determine the values of the primary and secondary tri functions at (-3,-4) on the terminal arm of an angle theta in standard position

Im just wondering how do u know which quadrant this point is in? I have assumed it is in quadrant 1. Then that means x=-3, y=-4, and r=5?

When determining values for trig functions for example let's say
[tex] \sin= \frac {opposite} {hypotenuse} = \frac {-4} {5} [/tex] is this the value they want me to determine or do I have to put it in decimals?

Physics news on Phys.org
IIRC,the point of coordinates x=-3,y=-4 is in the 3-rd quadrant.Its distance to the center is 5.

Can u take it from here??

Daniel.

yes just tell me how u know its in the third quadrant? and all I have to do is put opposite/hyp and then adj/hyp etc to determine the values for all the tri functions right?

This image should help you.

http://www.mmsonline.com/mag_images/cnc9801e.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
aisha said:
yes just tell me how u know its in the third quadrant? and all I have to do is put opposite/hyp and then adj/hyp etc to determine the values for all the tri functions right?

BECAUSE THE COORDINATES OF THE POINT ARE BOTH NEGATIVE:If "x" is negative,then it's either in the II-nd or the III-rd quadrant.If "y" is negative it's either in the III-rd or the IV-th quadrant.

Figure out what happens if both are negative at the same time...

For the second part,"YES".

Daniel.

I would memorize that drawing Recon linked to. If you look at it as a graph (which it is), it's pretty self-explanatory why cosines are positive in Q1 and Q4 and why sines are positive in Q1 and Q2. But, knowing that drawing one way or the other is pretty much essential for most of the trig problems you're doing.

yes recon's diagram is good I was thinking something more complicated lol i know that going to the left will become negative in the x-axis and down is negative in the y-axis thanks for explainging and making it more clear.

1. What are the six trigonometric functions?

The six trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent. They represent the ratios of different sides of a right triangle.

2. How do you determine the value of trigonometric functions?

To determine the value of trigonometric functions, you need to know the measure of an angle and the lengths of at least two sides of a right triangle. You can then use the trigonometric ratios to calculate the value of the function.

3. What is the unit circle and how does it relate to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a Cartesian plane. It is used to visualize the values of trigonometric functions for any angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine value of the angle, and the y-coordinate represents the sine value.

4. How do you use trigonometric identities to determine the value of a function?

Trigonometric identities are equations that relate the values of different trigonometric functions. They can be used to simplify expressions and determine the value of a function. For example, the Pythagorean identity (sin^2θ + cos^2θ = 1) can be used to calculate the value of a function when given the value of another function.

5. Can trigonometric functions be used for non-right triangles?

Yes, trigonometric functions can be used for non-right triangles. However, additional information, such as the lengths of all three sides or the measure of an angle, is needed to determine the values of the functions. This can be done using the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines.