Calculate volume in combustion

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to determine the volume of O2 needed for the complete combustion of 152 g of C2H6 at 19.0oC and 100.0 kPa. The first step is to find the number of moles of C2H6, then use the balanced equation to determine the number of moles of O2 needed. Next, the ideal gas law (PV=nRT) is used to solve for the volume of O2. The conversation also mentions the importance of balancing the equation for any complete combustion reaction and offers to double-check calculations if needed.
parwana
What volume of O2 (m3) is needed for the complete combustion of 152 g of C2H6 at 19.0oC and 100.0 kPa ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
i found the moles of C2H6 which was 152g/30g/mol

then times that by 292 K and this is where i have trouble

First I would set up the balanced equation for the complete combustion reaction. Then, like you did, solve for the number of moles of C2H6, using the balanced equation, determine how many moles of O2 are needed.
then using the eqaution PV=nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin, solve for the volume.

i don't know how to set it up though, please help

C2H6 reacts with O2, producing CO2 and H2O. Write this down as an equation and balance it.

This is true of any complete combustion...the products are CO2 and H20.

i got it, i balanced the equation, and used the mole ratio to find n and finally solved for volume

good work...if you'd like someone to double-check your calculations, post your numbers here.

1. What is the volume in combustion?

The volume in combustion refers to the amount of space that is occupied by the reactants and products in a chemical reaction known as combustion. This can also be thought of as the total volume of gases produced during the combustion process.

2. How is the volume in combustion calculated?

The volume in combustion is calculated by using the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas and the temperature, and inversely proportional to the pressure. By measuring the pressure, temperature, and number of moles of gas involved in the combustion reaction, one can calculate the volume using the ideal gas law equation.

3. Why is it important to calculate the volume in combustion?

Calculating the volume in combustion is important because it allows scientists and engineers to understand and control the combustion process. By knowing the volume of gases produced, they can determine the efficiency of the reaction and make adjustments to improve it. It also helps in the design and optimization of combustion engines and other industrial processes that rely on combustion.

4. What factors can affect the volume in combustion?

Several factors can affect the volume in combustion, including the type of fuel being burned, the amount of oxygen present, and the temperature and pressure of the system. Other factors such as the presence of catalysts and the geometry of the combustion chamber can also play a role in determining the volume of gases produced in the reaction.

5. How can the volume in combustion be measured?

The volume in combustion can be measured directly using specialized equipment such as a gas chromatograph or a combustion analyzer. These instruments can provide accurate readings of the volume of gases produced in a combustion reaction. Alternatively, the volume can be estimated by measuring the amount of fuel consumed and the stoichiometric ratio of the reaction, which relates the volume of reactants to the volume of products.