Electric dipole moment in gaseous species.

N having a lone pair of electrons and each F bonded to it. So, in summary, the molecules with electric dipole moment are NF3, KrF4, and SeO2-4.
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

Consider the following species in the gaseous state: [itex] NF_3, \ BeF_2, \ BCl_3, \ KrF_4 \ and \ SeO^{2-}_4 [/itex].
Which of them have electric dipole moment?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried google, but I can't figure out how to check that..

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw their representative structures, like you draw tetrahedral structure for methane? That can give you the clue.

How is drawing the representative structures supposed to give me a clue on which species have electric dipole moment? Is it like, in the case with [itex] BeF_2 [/itex], where [itex] Be [/itex] is left with a positive charge of 2+ and each [itex] F [/itex] with a negative charge of 1-. So it will have electric dipole moment?

Example to what I said:

BeF2 in gaseous form is a linear molecule, like F---Be---F, so the dipoles are F---Be and Be---F. Now can you determine the net dipole moment?

What I asked you is to draw the structures of molecules using VBT and VSEPR theory. Like in the case of NF3
320px-Nitrogen-trifluoride-2D-dimensions.png

I would approach this question by first understanding the concept of electric dipole moment. An electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule, and it is a vector quantity. This means that it has both magnitude and direction.

To determine which of the given species have electric dipole moments, we need to consider the molecular geometry and the distribution of charges within each molecule. NF3, BeF2, BCl3, and KrF4 are all symmetrical molecules, meaning that their molecular geometries have a high degree of symmetry. This symmetry results in a cancellation of the dipole moments, and therefore, these molecules do not have an electric dipole moment.

On the other hand, SeO42- is a non-symmetrical molecule, and it has a bent molecular geometry. This results in an unequal distribution of charges within the molecule, and it has a non-zero electric dipole moment.

In summary, out of the given species, only SeO42- has an electric dipole moment. This is because its molecular geometry is non-symmetrical, leading to an unequal distribution of charges within the molecule.

What is an electric dipole moment?

An electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule or atom. It is a vector quantity and is typically expressed in units of debyes (D).

How is the electric dipole moment of a gaseous species determined?

The electric dipole moment of a gaseous species can be determined experimentally using techniques such as microwave spectroscopy or Stark spectroscopy. Theoretical calculations based on the molecular structure and charge distribution can also be used to estimate the dipole moment.

Why is the electric dipole moment important in gaseous species?

The electric dipole moment is important in gaseous species because it affects their interactions with electric fields and other molecules. It also plays a role in the behavior and properties of gases, such as their polarizability and reactivity.

How does temperature affect the electric dipole moment in gaseous species?

Temperature can affect the electric dipole moment in gaseous species by changing the molecular structure and charge distribution. As temperature increases, molecules may vibrate and rotate, altering the dipole moment. In some cases, temperature changes can also cause molecules to become more polar or less polar, resulting in a change in the dipole moment.

Can the electric dipole moment of a gaseous species be zero?

Yes, the electric dipole moment of a gaseous species can be zero. This can occur if the molecule or atom has a symmetrical charge distribution, with equal and opposite charges that cancel out. In these cases, the molecule or atom is considered non-polar and has a dipole moment of zero.