Mayan pyramid demolished for road fill

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pyramid
In summary, a 2,300-year-old Mayan pyramid in Belize was destroyed by a construction company using backhoes and bulldozers to make fill for roads. The incident has been described as one of the worst displays of ignorance in the country's history by an archaeologist with the Institute of Archaeology. Despite being protected by the government, this is not the first time ruins have been destroyed in Belize. However, it has allowed for a closer examination of the pyramid's construction methods. The act has been widely condemned and calls for harsh punishment for those responsible have been made.
Sad sad sad

A Mayan pyramid that has stood for 2,300 years in Belize has been reduced to rubble, apparently to make fill for roads.
Local media in the Central American country of 334,000 people report the temple at the Noh Mul site in northern Belize was largely torn down by backhoes and bulldozers last week.
"This is one of the worst that I have seen in my entire 25 years of archaeology in Belize," John Morris, an archaeologist with the country's Institute of Archaeology, told local channel 7NewsBelize. "We can't salvage what has happened out here -- it is an incredible display of ignorance."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/world/americas/belize-mayan-pyramid-destroyed

Science news on Phys.org
The company that did this should be shut down and the owners thrown in jail, along with a fine so hefty that no one else will feel tempted to do such a thing again.

Shocking! To destroy this temple was a crime. Too bad any punishment would not bring it back!

Probably was abandoned and with no upkeep it would have eroded and fallen down on its own anyways in another 2500 years.

Flaying is too good for them. :devil:

I couldn't believe it when I saw this. This is an important part of human history...and now it's going to be used as filler in road construction. Apparently this has happened several times in Belize, despite these ruins being protected by the government. I guess Noh Mul was the largest one that has been destroyed yet though.

If there's a silver lining to it though, it has allowed archaeologists a glimpse into the construction of the pyramid. Hardly compensation, but it's an opportunity to examine the construction methods more closely, if nothing else.

Pretty sad though.

What is the significance of the Mayan pyramid being demolished for road fill?

The Mayan pyramid being demolished for road fill is significant because it represents the destruction of an important cultural and historical site. It also raises questions about the preservation of ancient structures and the impact of modern development on indigenous communities.

When and where did this incident occur?

This incident occurred in 2013 in the town of Nohmul, Belize. Nohmul is located in northern Belize, near the border with Mexico.

Who was responsible for the demolition of the pyramid?

The pyramid was demolished by a construction company hired by the Belize government to build a road in the area. The construction company claimed that they were not aware of the significance of the pyramid and thought it was just a mound of rubble.

What were the reactions to the demolition of the pyramid?

The demolition of the pyramid sparked outrage and protests from the local Mayan community and international organizations. It also brought attention to the lack of protection and preservation of Mayan sites in Belize.

How has the government responded to this incident?

The government of Belize has apologized for the destruction of the pyramid and has promised to put measures in place to protect and preserve other Mayan sites in the country. The construction company responsible for the demolition was also fined for their actions.

Back