Short Title: Does Einstein's Special Relativity Disprove the Existence of Ether?

• Thread starter Spastik_Relativity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary: This is because the speed of light is constant no matter the relative speed of the observer. Therefore if you were moving through an ether (like air, water, or space) there would be a difference in the speed of light. This difference would be detectable, but it is not, so the idea of an ether is disproven.2. Why is the idea of light slowing down in a solid transparent material such as glass so significant?It is significant because it goes against the common understanding that light always travels at the same speed. In a vacuum, it does, but in a material like glass, it is absorbed and reemitted by atoms, causing it to appear to slow down. This is a phenomenon
Spastik_Relativity
Hi to anyone reading this. This is my first thread on this site. I am enthusiastic and very interested in physics. Currently i am trying to understand the universe around me. I have a couple of questions id like to ask and if they could be answered that would be greatly appreciated.
Personally i believe in and ether thus the questions i have are simple but I am lost.

1.What is the exact reason why/how Einstien's theory of special relativity proves the existence of a true vacuum?

2. Why is the idea of light slowing down in a solid transparent material such as glass so significant?

3. Are there any predicted properties of a graviton and where could i read about them?

and finally this may seem a bit weird but

4. Has anyone ever conducted the search for an ether using a light beam that travels perpendiuclar to the Earth rather that horizontal to it?

Thanks for reading

p.s. I am still in high school so don't be too harsh on me

Physics news on Phys.org
1.What is the exact reason why/how Einstien's theory of special relativity proves the existence of a true vacuum?

As far as I know it doesn't. Quantum Field Theory shows us that a 'true' vacuum is not possible. Quantum Field Theory is derived with respect to SR.

2. Why is the idea of light slowing down in a solid transparent material such as glass so significant?

It doesn't really slow down. Light always travels at same speed. It's the fact that it's absorbed and reemitted by atoms which seems to slow it down. This is basically what physical optics studies.

3. Are there any predicted properties of a graviton and where could i read about them?

The graviton should be a massless spin-2 particle. Google for graviton. Beware of crack pot sites. If you know QFT, google scholar or http://xxx.lanl.gov is your best bet.

4. Has anyone ever conducted the search for an ether using a light beam that travels perpendiuclar to the Earth rather that horizontal to it?

I won't comment on anything regarding ether theory. It's been dead for many years and to my knowledge hasn't been modified to explain all the phenomena the theory of relativity explains.

Last edited:
thanks for the help.
and in regards to those crackpot sites they really do throw people like me off!

It doesn't prove the existence of a true vacuum, but it does disprove the idea of an 'ether'. This is because a central idea of SR is that motion is always relative, there is no such thing as rest (it is impossible to say who is moving and who isn't, because they are both moving relative to each other). If there were an ether, you could measure motion relative to the absolute either (throwing away the idea that motion is always relative). The way Einstein discovered the relativity of motion involves electromagnetism.

What is the purpose of "Just a Couple of questions"?

The purpose of "Just a Couple of questions" is to gather information and data on a specific topic or research question.

What makes "Just a Couple of questions" a scientific method?

"Just a Couple of questions" follows the scientific method by using a systematic approach to gather data, analyze results, and draw conclusions based on evidence.

How are the questions in "Just a Couple of questions" formulated?

The questions in "Just a Couple of questions" are formulated through careful consideration of the research topic, previous studies, and the specific goals of the study. They are designed to be clear, specific, and unbiased.

Can "Just a Couple of questions" be used in any scientific field?

Yes, "Just a Couple of questions" can be used in any scientific field as long as the questions are tailored to the specific research topic and follow the scientific method.

How do you ensure the validity and reliability of the data collected from "Just a Couple of questions"?

The validity and reliability of the data collected from "Just a Couple of questions" are ensured through careful study design, clear and unbiased questions, and appropriate data analysis techniques. Additionally, a larger sample size and repetition of the study can also increase the reliability of the data.